Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Red glare 2023

PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
Quote from Zielijo1 on March 21, 2023, 10:50 pm

Boats r money pits. Hard pass

And rockets aren't? (checked your attic's rocket storeroom lately?) Are tiki mugs little money pits? Or concert tickets these days? (Beer isn't a money pit. It's an investment in your body and soul.) 😁

I did like my boat. Did most of the work myself, so costs weren't totally insane. I look at it like the equivalent to a vacation or two in time and money. But we weren't getting the use out of it, so sold it. Contrary to the old saying, it was not a happy day when it sold. That's for people who buy the wrong boat.

It's all good as long as you derive pleasure from it and you can afford whatever it is you're into. For us, we've enjoyed learning new things, meeting new friends, and having some fun with flammable solids. 😇

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1

Fun w flammable solids! That’s a bumper sticker

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin
Quote from Zielijo1 on March 21, 2023, 10:54 pm

the plan for my 4” Fiberglas trinity is to fly w a K530. This will need nose weight. Expected altitude 4500 ft. I plan to drag race Jeff Miller’s trinity which is a cluster n air start.

Did you order your K530 from Wildman to pickup at the field?  That's what I did for the L875 I'm planning to fly.  Saves $80+ in HAZMAT shipping for one but it also insured that I get one.  I looked the other day and Tim is sold out of the L875.

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1

K motor ordered for pick up

can I borrow your 54mm case

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Quote from Zielijo1 on March 23, 2023, 7:18 am

Say "no"! 😄

Just so he has to buy one that we can all use. 😂

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin
Quote from Eric Becher on March 23, 2023, 8:01 am
Quote from Zielijo1 on March 23, 2023, 7:18 am

Say "no"! 😄

Just so he has to buy one that we can all use. 😂

LOL!

The rule with ANYTHING I lend out is that if you break it or you damage it or you destroy it or you lose it, you will replace it.

I have 54mm CTI casings in 3G, 4G, 5G and 6G variants.

RED GLARE Saturday is looking like rain according to the forecast I am seeing right now. Does the launching proceed anyway? What is the historical precedent, as I've never attended before I don't want to drive 3 hours to get there and find an empty, wet field.  But if folks are still flying regardless of the weather, I'll be there.

Looking at the hourly forecast, the rain should be done by 7am Saturday (starting Friday evening). I'm not currently worried about rain, but Saturday is also supposed to be breezy, especially as the afternoon wears on, up to 20mph. Friday should be ok, but a little more breeze in the afternoon (15mph). Sunday is shaping up to be the best day for flying.

I'm not a long term veteran of Red Glare, but I would think they wouldn't cancel unless absolutely necessary. I doubt they fly in rain. Last year they were flying in wind up to 20mph or so before shutting it down.

But this is still subject to big changes between now and then. Stay tuned, and stay flexible. And if you go, wear boots!

Quote from Brian C. on March 27, 2023, 2:37 pm

RED GLARE Saturday is looking like rain according to the forecast I am seeing right now. Does the launching proceed anyway? What is the historical precedent, as I've never attended before I don't want to drive 3 hours to get there and find an empty, wet field.  But if folks are still flying regardless of the weather, I'll be there.

IF it's a light rain, they could leave the field open and there are some who will fly in it.  LDRS-36, hosted by MDRA in 2017, saw rains the first day (Thursday) and some did get rockets in the air. Later that day, the rains became very heavy and the field was closed. Some reported a tornado with the heavy rains and the carnage on the field seemed to back it up the claims of a tornado. 30-odd ports-toilets were toppled. Happily, the company that provided them came out with new loos and took the toppled loos away. Two or three years ago, the Friday was gloomy with on and off showers but the fields were open; there were several daring young men with their flying machines (student teams mostly) that did launch.

If you're planning to head down, do so but check with one of us before you venture down.

Just finished up the latest rocket (Bucky Jones) for Red Glare. We're bringing 8 of our larger rockets, including Jo Ann's new Texas 2-Step, based on a Boosted Bertha. 4 of them have not flown yet. They are models hoping to become rockets. Looking forward to some good flights, including a L1 certification attempt.

Now we just need the weather to cooperate. Friday and Sunday should be good enough. Saturday is looking questionable. Currently calling for a little rain in the early morning, then strong winds (20+) all afternoon. Hopefully that will improve in the next few days.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20230328_203605_kindlephoto-801863706.jpg
Ken Golomb has reacted to this post.
Ken Golomb
PreviousPage 2 of 4Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.