Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

January 2024 Scheduled Launch

Page 1 of 3Next

Happy New Year CENJARS!

I trust that everybody had a wonderful holiday season and celebration this past December despite no December launch. I hope you used some of that time wisely to increase your rocket stockpile.

I have some good news and some bad news.

First, the good news. It's time once again for our scheduled monthly launch. Now, the bad news. The weather is not cooperating. This weekend is forecast to be wet with a mix of rain and possibly snow. While there's no threat of any significant snow accumulation, it's still precipitation. Saturday is forecast to have gale force winds which will taper down as the weekend closes. The winds, even if Sunday would see no precipitation, will be far too strong to enjoy a fruitful launch. Therefore, I'm calling the launch for this weekend. I'm sure that this should come as no surprise if you've been following the weather reports. I will contact the Wall School District and request the field for both next Saturday and Sunday with the hope that at least ONE day will allow us a launch. Check the website mid-week to see if there is a rescheduled January launch.

If I can procure the Athletic Complex for Saturday, would you be willing to have an extended launch on Saturday? The repeal of Daylight Savings Time in November gives us much shorter afternoons of daylight, so maybe a full day launch? Seeing as how we missed out on our December launch, you may be itching to ignite the plethora of rocket motor stocking stuffers Santa left in your stockings!

I know many of you had holiday themed rockets you were hoping to fly in December and you were then looking forward to flying them  at the January launch. Maybe we should hold a Christmas in July launch? 🤔 Keep the faith that we can squeeze in a January launch.

BTW, I have some stocking stuffers for our members too. I'll distribute them at the next launch or whenever you are at some future launch.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

Bummer (once again) but understandable. Even if it isn't actually raining by Sunday afternoon, the field will be a swampy mess. Not fun.

Yes - I do have a bunch of Christmas-type rockets to fly. And I do intend to fly them at the next opportunity, even if that is for Easter! Two of them (plus another non-Christmas rocket) have never flown before, so I need to get them in the air so they can be called "Rockets" instead of "Models".

Saturday launch - I would be willing, but next Saturday I have another event I am somewhat committed to. It runs until 1500 in Asbury Park, so I don't think I could make it. But don't let that stop you. If Saturday is the better day, and you have the opportunity and participation, go for it!

As for the duration of a launch in the winter, yes the daylight is shorter, but the weather is also colder. So while I'll launch as much as I can, I am not sure how many people would stay all day. That doesn't mean you shouldn't start a little earlier, just don't expect a large crowd all day long. At least that's my thinking. Could be wrong.

And FWIW, Jan 13th will see sunset 4 minutes later than our last launch waaaayyyyyy back in November. So we're already getting longer days! 😁

Hope to see everyone soon!

I'll be there on whichever of the 13th or 14th works out.

Admin and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
AdminEric Becher

I *was* planing to get my car serviced at the stealership, but I can put that off for another week if the weather is good Saturday. Like Eric, I think Sunday is better and I also agree that if it's 35 degrees, I'm going to launch my rockets and then warm my hands in the car before I help with the clean-up. My hands and feet get painfully cold, now I know why old people move to Florida. That said, I'm never moving to Florida.

Anyhow, where was I? Ah yes, I'll be there. Heck, I'd be there tomorrow even if it was still snowing, but that's me.

And the Xmas in July idea is a good one. We can have patriotic themed Xmas tree rockets.

Leaper -----> Uncle Sam?

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

we can attend if its held on Saturday.

Quote from Brian C. on January 6, 2024, 3:07 pm

Heck, I'd be there tomorrow even if it was still snowing, but that's me.

Many know that bad weather hasn't stopped you in the past!! 😉

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

My crystal ball is already showing that next Saturday is 60% chance of rain (they are even saying T-Storms); while next Sunday is partly cloudy with a high of only 39 (brrrr!). So it looks like Sunday is our day if we can get it. However, dress up in layers and make sure you have your boots as the field will likel be muddy.

👃

Page 1 of 3Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.