Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Stuff I'm working on...

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Quote from Eric Becher on September 4, 2023, 12:20 pm

As for "all the wacky way-out rockets"... don't we see some of that already?? 😂😂😂

Way-out!

Okay; this is like update #3 on this rocket.... Yes, I've been building up the fins as I didn't like the way they looked "as is". First I added the strakes, as you can see on the fin to the right, but it still seemed "off" to me, so now I have started adding the triangular piece as seen on the fin to the left.

Unfortunately; I was trying to keep this thing as light as possible, I wanted a 4" rocket I could fly on any F,.... but this guy is starting to put on some weight. I'll weigh it as soon as all the glue dries, and see where I am at. It should still come in under 1 pound (I hope).

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_5535.jpg

And... Update!!!

With the recovery gear and no motor it's 750 grams!! Yow!! F27 or better for this bad boy now, but it's still small and light enough to fly easily at CENJARS. Now I just need a paint scheme, but I have to say it now looks great and I'm finally satisfied with how it looks. A lot of the weight is in the nose, so I know it'll be stable. Haven't swing tested yet, but I'll do that once the weather co-operates (which given the chance of T-storms next week, doesn't look like until the middle of Sept.)

But I need time to come up with something good for the paint anyhow. And then I need a name.... Names are the tough part.

"Magnum Opus"

Quote from Eric Becher on September 7, 2023, 9:40 am

"Magnum Opus"

Magnum Opus with my bud Tom Brislin from Dunellen, NJ on keyboards!

Well, I was thinking of Kansas just a few years before he joined them (I wore out my cassette back in h.s. or college), but whatever connection works for you.

For those that don't know: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dumOc5V_PcE

Due to the Red Nova-ish nose cone, I was originally thinking 'Super Nova' (and *not* supernova as a single word); however, maybe I can kitbash Magnum Opus and Super Nova and name it "Magnum Nova", which doesn't mean anything ("Great News" in Latin apparently), is kind of silly and appeals to me.

Magnum Nova it is then...

Now, I need to find a color other than Red and Yellow, which I've been using too much of recently, because that's what I had in the basement. Time to peruse Amazon. Maria liked the sparkly rockets during the Sept. Launch, maybe I can find something metal-flake that's unique.

Quote from Eric Becher on September 7, 2023, 11:51 am

Well, I was thinking of Kansas just a few years before he joined them (I wore out my cassette back in h.s. or college), but whatever connection works for you.

For those that don't know: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=dumOc5V_PcE

I saw them on the original Leftoverture tour.

Tom is an amazing keyboard player. He's played with Renaissance and Yes and many others. I once sat in front of his piano with my elbows on it watching him play. He's been touring with Kansas for some time now and is personnel on the latest Kansas album.

I've found a few good flake paints at HD and Lowes. More choices at Holly Lobby. Check out the aisle near models for restore cans and the good airbrush paints. The regular acrylics can work too, and they have tons of colors, finishes and whatever in that aisle.

PreviousPage 2 of 2
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.