Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Stuff I'm working on...

Page 1 of 2Next

Okay, the first one is "King Ring" which was a name we came up with here on the forum, and I have decorated it as such, the second one might not make it to the August launch as it's still very much in progress, it's a "BMS School Rocket", which is turning into my favorite "kit" as it is inexpensive and a very good base for making projects.

I'm doing a couple on experiments here: First, you may have noticed the fins -- I've added right-angle "tabs" to see if that'll make it shoot straight up, or just weathercock even more, and the other thing is that the lower section (I may do the whole rocket if I get lucky with the outcome here) is doing a "poor man's fiberglass" like-thing where you smear wood glue on the tube, and then lay down used fabric dryer sheets as the substrate, let that dry and then coat with very thin laminating epoxy as the finish before painting. We'll see how that goes.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_5509.JPG
Eric Becher and Raunak have reacted to this post.
Eric BecherRaunak

More stuff I'm working on... Building a LOC-IV right now, but won't be bringing it to the September Launch ... (well, maybe I will), because I already have 10 rockets picked out... I have spent a lot of money on stuff this month to amass a build-pile for the winter, I'm looking at at least 10 projects, including a bunch of custom stuff.

I also have a few give-aways and donations for the club (assuming the club wants my junk), but some of it might be useful.

See you in September (a song by the Association, if I recall correctly).

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Quote from Brian C. on August 24, 2023, 10:10 pm

See you in September (a song by the Association, if I recall correctly).

Oh great, plant and ear worm and run. BTW, it was The Happenings, not the Association.

Got someone to 3D print me a nosecone.... Also have a MDRM body tube from Estes.... Let's see what I can come up with...

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_5518.JPG
Eric Becher

"Der Mega Red Nova" 😁

Quote from Eric Becher on August 27, 2023, 10:59 pm

"Der Mega Red Nova" 😁

Yeah, I thought about that for 30 seconds and then decided to build something original. I'd need a really long tube, and then it wouldn't be easily flyable in a smaller field.... so I'm working on a light, short, fat 4" rocket I can still fly on low end "F" motors. Should be fun, as long as don't go overboard during assembly....

Eric Becher

Ok, not even close to finished yet. That's not the final design for the fins, I'm adding chines or strakes or something to liven it up. I may also add some other greebles or bric-a-brack to add drag and keep the body from being a too-simple 3FNC, because I'm never satisfied with "just a rocket".

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_5525.JPG
Admin and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
AdminEric Becher

That's definitely "unique," which I am a fan of. The fins look small. Depending on what else you do to it, might need some weight in the nose.

Speaking of unique, here is what Jo Ann made for Sunday. It is a V-2 (ASP Rocketry, 24mm version), but rather than "celebrate" the Nazi war machine, she took it in a retro, sci-fi direction. I only gave advice and helped with the painting, but the decisions and construction were hers. I think it came out great. Hopefully it flies well too. We'll find out on Sunday.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20230830_174906_kindlephoto-2688694568.jpg
  • IMG_20230830_174919_kindlephoto-2688714877.jpg
Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

So, only NOW am I seeing that it actually has lettering that says "Retro Rocket" -- how did you get that sticker made? Inkjet printer? Either way, definitely a "Rocketship XM" vibe to it. Yeah, we are going to have to have a "Steampunk" launch day where we bring all the wacky way-out rockets to the launch.

I printed the Retro Rocket lettering and nose art with an inkjet on clear sticker paper. Not very waterproof, but works well. I would clear coat it, but that rocket owner is not a fan of clear coat. I also have white vinyl sticker paper, which works well over darker paints.

"Steampunk Day" could be fun, but I don't know who else has any rockets in that style.

As for "all the wacky way-out rockets"... don't we see some of that already?? 😂😂😂

Page 1 of 2Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.