Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

New Launch Controller

PreviousPage 3 of 3

I suppose I can print one on vinyl small enough for the sides of the box. But maybe we should "let" Brian finish building the thing before we sticker the crap out of it. πŸ˜„

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

I can NOT say this enough or loud enough. THANK YOU Jeff Myers!!!

Jeff offered to cut the panel which I purchased for the new launch controller with his CNC machine. I went to his home this afternoon with the panel and its mockup. Jeff was provided with DXF files generated from my design software. He pulled the DXF into his CNC software and massaged some bits. The cutting was easy. The time was spent trying to make the panel level and stable in the CNC. It also didn't help that I brought everything to his home but the panel itself. πŸ™„πŸ™„πŸ™„Fortunately, my second oldest son was available to drive it up Jeff's home.

After the panel was cut, I got a tour of the observatory. Way cool! I'd love to spend an evening with Jeff sometime when he's observing the heavens.

Anyway, here's a brief video of the panel perparation.

Eric Becher and tjkopena have reacted to this post.
Eric Bechertjkopena

It looks like you might be able to get DOOM running on this launch controller.

Completely over-engineered as expected!! πŸ˜†

Quote from Ken Golomb on February 26, 2024, 5:54 pm

It looks like you might be able to get DOOM running on this launch controller.

Completely over-engineered as expected!! πŸ˜†

Leave the DOOM for the wankers at InfoAge. πŸ˜‰

I've populated the panel and today, I cut the rear apron for the connector/jacks. I have one more thing to do to the case but I was interrupted by a customer who picked up some files.

"Life is What Happens To You While You're Busy Making Other Plans" β€” John Lennon

"Work is What Happens To You While You're Busy Making Launch Controller" β€” Me

I now need to laser cut a a test fit for the rocker switch lugs to insure the placement is correct. Then, I do a deep dive into the schematic editor and PCB layout tools.

I've been busy trying to nail down all of the doctoring OKs I'll need for surgery next Tuesday, so my efforts on the Launch Controller have been waylaid. However, I have gotten most of the controller modeled up in KiCad (schematic, PCB layout, etc.).

I wanted to breadboard some of the logic to insure that it works but there's quite a lag time on getting some of the ICs from China. One set of ICs I ordered won't be here until April. That's unacceptable, so I made some modifications to the logic because I found a source for a similar IC on, believe it or not, Amazon with a two day delivery. These ICs just arrived and I plugged them in and wired them up on the breadboard. Actually, because of the delay in shipment from China, I was able to pare the IC count down by one IC!

I found that there was a way to incorporate the .DXF files from the layout and design of the Launch Control panel into KiCad, so now I need to find a way to output the PCB layout in such a fashion that I can laser cut a piece of cardboard to test fit the drilling mask against the actual populated Launch Control panel switches.

Here's a photo of the breadboarded logic circuit. There will be four of this circuit for each switch bank. Of course, I only need to breadboard and test one circuit.

Uploaded files:
  • Breadboarded-Logic.jpg
Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

The red wire needs to swap with the black one, or is that dark blue?

Can't wait for the finished product.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Quote from Ckirlew on March 20, 2024, 6:30 pm

The red wire needs to swap with the black one, or is that dark blue?

Can't wait for the finished product.

Well, if the doctoring gets sorted, I should have a week of recovery time to keep focused. I'm hoping I'll be able to travel for the Eclipse but at the rate things are happening here, I may need to forego the second celestial show of a lifetime.

PreviousPage 3 of 3
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.