Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

March 2024

Page 1 of 2Next

March 2024 Launch Report

One of the best days for a launch in recent memory! Light winds, clear skies, and mild temperatures. Plenty of folks came out to watch and to fly.

Engine totals:

0 – 1/2A Engines

16 – A Engines

17 – B Engines

38 – C Engines

15 – D Engines

11 – E Engines

24 – F Engines

4 – G Engines

Total of 125 engines on 115 flights. I only have stats back through 2022, but both of those numbers are records! 38 C motors is also a record high, for any class motor in fact. While we don’t count attendance, it looked like a record crowd as well, with another handful of new attendees. Welcome all!

Again, the ARC teams were out in force. Their competition season ends in April, so it is getting to be crunch time and they are getting in their last practice or qualifying flights. Another stat for those that are counting – of the 24 “F” flights, 17 were ARC flights. I think there were 4 teams flying with us. Good luck to you all! More improvements were noted as nearly all of their flights were more stable and higher fliers that earlier in their season.

The perfect weather brought out a few boosters, some clusters, and a bunch of high fliers. It was a good day for it. Top cluster goes to David B. with his “Fireball XL-5” with it’s 5 engine cluster (all C6’s). Honorable mention to Dan with a 3-stage flying saucer using a D12, C6, and A10 engines. The best part of all this is that I believe everyone got all their rockets back. None lost to the trees or lakes that I am aware of. A few were returned in more pieces than planned however.

So yes, there were a few spectacular CATO’s, but I don’t think any were via the infamous Estes E12’s. If you stayed late, you saw Jeff’s nice Katana Jr. light off in a pretty big fireball. (sorry Jeff) A few others suffered “rapid unplanned disassembly” as well. Sometimes you can’t foresee these things and never find out why it happened.

But we did also see a handful of separations after ejection. Note: these events can be hazardous to cars and people. We should do what we can to ensure this is not something that happens often. Check your shock cords before flight. Give them a little pull to make sure they are anchored at both ends and knots are secure. If they are elastic, check the condition of the cord and don’t launch if they seem to be too brittle or coming apart. Finally, for you higher power fliers, note that nylon cords, often supplied in kits, is not very fire/heat resistant. Either shield the cord from ejection gasses, or use Kevlar. Remember – you don’t want to pay for damage to anyone’s car, or their noggin, because you didn’t take a few seconds to check something as easy as the shock cord or eye bolt.

Another observance, and potentially even more damaging, was a smaller handful of lawn darts. This can happen for several reasons. Some causes are preventable. Make sure the nose cone and parachute is loose enough to eject easily. For most of us that use single deploy via engine ejections, the timing is critical. Be careful when using delays over 5 seconds, as many flights don’t coast much longer than that before hitting the ground. The goal is to eject at apogee where the speed is low and doesn’t result in separations or ejection after landing.

But there were plenty of great flights all afternoon, on a wide variety of rockets. Neil brought some really cool rockets, as usual, including his large Saturn V and Mercury Redstone. Neil also entertained us with a pair of new chutes he was trying out – shaped like a dinosaur skull and a Christmas tree. Very cool Neil!

Thanks to Joe at Rocketship Games, who kept us well supplied, and offered some nice options to replace any damaged rockets. FYI, there is a good chance we’ll see Joe at the next launch too.

Pictures are in the Gallery.

Next launch COULD be April 7th. That is the last day for ARC competition, so we want to offer that opportunity. It is also close to the big solar eclipse on April 8th, which a number of Club leadership is traveling to observe. And of course, there is weather to contend with. Stay tuned!

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

FWIW, Kevin's noggin is OK today. Maybe we need a "HARDHAT AREA" sign too? 😝

I didn't know he was actually hit. I know there were a few close calls with separated parts, but nothing too hazardous.

We have 3 "Hardhat" options: (They are not actually hard, but made of foam, but it will still offer some cushioning.)

Uploaded files:
  • Rocket-hat.jpg
  • Rocket-hat-2.jpg
  • Rocket-hat-3.jpg
Admin
Quote from Eric Becher on March 4, 2024, 5:23 pm

I didn't know he was actually hit. I know there were a few close calls with separated parts, but nothing too hazardous.

An Alpha, with the plastic fincan, came down on his head. The tips of those plastic fins are sharp. It drew blood when it hit his head. Diptanshu's parents addressed him with their first aid supplies.

We have 3 "Hardhat" options: (They are not actually hard, but made of foam, but it will still offer some cushioning.)

Not unless there's a Loyal Order of Water Buffalo Poobah hat too. 😜

Oh, I didn't know about that. Sorry for Kevin, but I assume nothing serious.

FWIW, we do have some updated first aid supplies in one of the crates of launch gear. I helped Charlie change them out with materials I got from Red Cross a few months back.

And as for the hat - can do that too!

Uploaded files:
  • Buffalo-hat.jpg
Quote from Eric Becher on March 4, 2024, 5:55 pm

Oh, I didn't know about that. Sorry for Kevin, but I assume nothing serious.

I bled quite a bit and the little sunflower was making a big deal about it, but it was just a little skin puncture from the tip of the Alpha fin. Head wounds bleed considerably but most are nothing to be concerned about.

FWIW, we do have some updated first aid supplies in one of the crates of launch gear. I helped Charlie change them out with materials I got from Red Cross a few months back.

Yeah, I know the club has some first aid stuff in a kit but the Halders jumped in to provide him first aid. All he really needed was a little compression on the wound until it stopped bleeding. They also put some Neosporin on it.

Maybe we need to get one with a CENJARS logo for when there's a changing of the guard.

Quote from Admin on March 5, 2024, 7:37 am
Quote from Eric Becher on March 4, 2024,

Maybe we need to get one with a CENJARS logo for when there's a changing of the guard.

Yeah, we need the hat. Because when someone new is looking for you on the field, and we say "look for the guy with a pony tail and no shoes." it gets confusing. 😂😂😂

Admin
Quote from Eric Becher on March 5, 2024, 8:48 am

Yeah, we need the hat. Because when someone new is looking for you on the field, and we say "look for the guy with a pony tail and no shoes." it gets confusing. 😂😂😂

Yeah, we have too many members like that! 😛

We are glad that we could help Kevin. Hope he is fine now.

Admin

For those of you that hung around until the bitter end, our final launches of the day seemed to end badly. I've got my "postmortem" on my flight that went badly -- the "Vega", which went up, and then nosedived into the mud.

I now know exactly what went wrong. In my rush to launch 10 rockets that day, I treated my RMS24/40 like a disposable motor. When I build a motor, I leave the loading the ejection charge as the last step. And I usually only do that just before I launch so that the black power stays mostly upright and doesn't spill out (I do stick the red cap on, but I was trying to prevent spillage into the void above the pinhole you're suppoosed to be getting that powder into)....

Well, guess what I forgot to do! Yes, I never loaded the ejection charge into the motor before insertion into the rocket.

Whoops! And that's also how I lost my little camera. Don't ever trust rubber bands to hold things in place during a lawn-dart.

The good news is: I have enough BT-80 and couplers already here to start a rebuild. But a whole new nosecone might be needed.

Admin
Page 1 of 2Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.