Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

LDRS (Large Dangerous Rocket Ships) 42

Page 1 of 7Next

Tripoli has just announced that LDRS 42 will be hosted by URRG (Upstate Research Rocketry Group) June 6-9, 2024. If you have never been to a large HIGH POWER rocket launch, this is one you should attend. Some past LDRS events have even been televised — hosted by Kari Byron of MythBusters fame and carried on the Discovery channel. The energy and number of launches you will witness is bar none. I attended LDRS 36 when it was hosted by MDRA and I've been waiting for another LDRS to be hosted on the east coasts. Now, it's here!

The URRG launch site, Torrey Farm in Potter NY, is vast in size and sits in the midst of the beautiful Finger Lakes region.  Consider attending this launch.  You won't regret it.

Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher

I'll make my hotel reservation today! (Maybe) Or maybe we should rent a house? Our own "crash pad" so to speak. That sounds like fun. I should have a few good sized (hopefully not dangerous) rockets ready by then. Will need a roof rack or something.

It shouldn't interfere with the CENJARS launch that month either.

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1

I've been to LDRS 36 and it was incredibly well attended.  Fliers from as far away as Australia attended. So, I know the best bet is to CYA and reserver a room ASAP. Hotel rooms in that area are a premium too when the summer months arrive because it is a vacation area and extremely popular with the winos due to all of the vineyards.

However, if there's an interest in a CENJARS central hostel, that's cool too.  One can always cancel a hotel reservation. 😉 Dan, Neil and Gregory have got themselves a B&B close to the farm about the same distance as Penn Yan but it's in the opposite direction.  Their only issue for URRF was arranging for the second B (breakfast) early at the B&B.

I'm sure that soon, there will be some announcement about an event hotel but the bigger accommodating hotels are a distance away in Geneva.  M and I did lodge in Geneva hotels for two URRFs but it's a longer drive (like Easton to Higgs).  Penn Yan hotel was great, providing a quick ride to the farm. The drive from the hotel to the access road was shorter than the 5MPH drive on the access road (dirt) to the flight line.

Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher

Unless it's a decent house/airb&b type situation, I think staying closer to some sort of town would be preferred. It's early June, so hopefully the summer rates and demand aren't kicking in at that point.

The Best Western in Penn Yan is nice and convenient to access the farm. There are eateries and watering holes in Penn Yan that are within walking distance to that hotel. I suspect here may be some sort of banquet one evening, so two or three evenings need dinner plans. The BW has breakfast in the lobby.

URRF has always had a BBQ group on the field for food during the day. They're even setup under a large tented area too with tables, so a bit of an improvement over Red Glare's Road Kill Cafe.

Zielijo1

Ah, you best me to this annoucement by an hour... I just found out via the Rocketry Forum. Definitely going. Excited. And yes, maybe we can do a group thing and rent something close by. Otherwise, I'll just reserve a room. Penn Yan can't be too expensive after all. I haven't looked yet, but I imagine that hotel rooms in the middle of nowhere are usually pretty cheap.

So, most important question: Is it worth it to join URRG at this point? Does that help with the LDRS registration (discount)?

Let's investigate.

thanks Poohbah, booked hotel

would be interested in a house but needs separate bathrooms

I have a few LDRS videos which I converted to dvd including the one w myth busters. LMK if u want a copy

neil from MDRA actually flew a large one

We have a reservation at the BW, Wednesday thru Monday. Subject to change if we have a better offer.

I might assume that joining URRG is not a requirement since this is a National TRA event, not a URRG event like URRF. I'm thinking it could be more likely that we have to join TRA, although they say NAR members are welcome to fly at this year's event (going on this weekend)??? But what do I know. Have never been to either. I'm sure there will be range fees. More info will be forthcoming in a few months I'm sure.

Looking forward to it. Red Glare is pretty great. This could be better in some ways, but I'm sure not in all ways. If nothing else, it's something different. And with 4 days of flying, maybe we'll luck out with a day or two of lower winds than at RG. And since NAR can't seem to come up with a decent NSL East event (who wants to fly near the Great Lakes in Nov!), this will have to do.

Zielijo1

Poohbah, does LDRS have a photo permit requirement?? If yes, I need to be in a team, n not necessarily Jim W team. Ken potter from red glare says he’s going

im not flying but will pay range fees so I have access

maybe team Dan Michael ?

Page 1 of 7Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.