Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Launch system wire resistance.

PreviousPage 3 of 3

Not sure why we need 3 axis of adjustment. One should be fine. Just tilt it to desired angle and place the stand so it points in the desired direction. We don't generally launch on the side of hills. I'm a big believer in K.I.S.S. The simpler it is, the more reliable/sturdy it is, plus save a little cash. In this regard, I like the one we have.

As for mounting the rail, maybe a slotted fitting (or even a simple square tube stock) that the rail fits into with a set screw that secures it (not going through it). Or if the square stock has a bottom or stop in it, a pin can then go through a hole in the rail and stock to secure it.

I would like to have a nice long rod or rail. Give a little more guidance for the rockets that might struggle to get up to speed. Obviously it can't get too long or Charlie won't be able to close up his van doors.

My $0.02.

Also available at HD. Same price, free shipping to home or store. Plenty available. Can’t find the weight?!?!?

Quote from Eric Becher on May 24, 2023, 10:14 am

Not sure why we need 3 axis of adjustment. One should be fine. Just tilt it to desired angle and place the stand so it points in the desired direction. We don't generally launch on the side of hills. I'm a big believer in K.I.S.S. The simpler it is, the more reliable/sturdy it is, plus save a little cash. In this regard, I like the one we have.

View the rod and rail as a polar coordinate system, not cartesian.  Altitude and azimuth.  The tilt feature of the Jawstand provides altitude if one desires to tilt the rail from zenith (straight up).  The head of the Jawstand turns providing azimuth.

As for mounting the rail, maybe a slotted fitting (or even a simple square tube stock) that the rail fits into with a set screw that secures it (not going through it). Or if the square stock has a bottom or stop in it, a pin can then go through a hole in the rail and stock to secure it.

There's a plethora of 8020Inc hardware for use with their framing rails. Let's not jerry-rig it.

FWIW, my pad uses a square aluminum stock to accept the rail.  There's a stop pin at the bottom of the square stock.  There's no need to "lock" the rail.  Its weight and friction in the square stock is more than adequate.  1010 rail weights approximately .55lbs/ft. Thus, an 8ft. rail is 4.4lbs.  Significantly more than any rocket motor combined with rocket weight could lift with motors we use in Wall.

I would like to have a nice long rod or rail. Give a little more guidance for the rockets that might struggle to get up to speed. Obviously it can't get too long or Charlie won't be able to close up his van doors.

What you want is working length.  Many HP clubs claim they have 8ft. rails but a foot or more is consumed in/by the rail mount. An 8ft. rail is probably more than we'd need for flights at the athletic complex.

IF somebody wants/needs a longer rail, I *DO* have a 10ft. rail for my pad; it's powder-coated yellow too.  I built my HP pad for my L2 certification which was done with a PML 4inch AMRAAM AIM-120.  Due to its 8ft. height, I wanted a longer rail, so I built my own pad.  Also, because I did my L2 with BARC, their HP pads were using the basic Jawstand with tent pegs into the soil.  I'd witnessed many rockets toppled over on their Jawstand launchers. Thankfully, none ever toppled over as the motor was igniting!!!

My $0.02.

Not getting much these days for 2¢ due to Bidenflation.

This is getting to be a long list of stuff to comment on.

KISS, yes, I fully support that.  At the TARC launch in April, to handle the slight tilt, I used the claw of the hammer under one of the legs.  Maybe we can create some wedges to go under the legs for the nitpicky TARCies.

"The pole" is almost 9 feet long and fits in the van.  Should be able to handle a 9 foot rail.  TARC rules call for a 6 foot rail.

Having identical rail attachment configurations would be a good thing.

Same for any blast deflectors, etc.  I just want them to be "no tool needed".  Wing nuts and thumb screws.  1/4 20 threads are good, too. Very common.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
PreviousPage 3 of 3
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.