Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Launch system wire resistance.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next

This has been a great discussion.  So great that I went out and bought a new multimeter.  Now I have to learn how to use it.  🙂

One thing that came out of this is that I probably have some corrosion on my adapter.  That coupled with corrosion of the clips and you don't get enough juice flowing through at the right time.

Upshot, the controllers and wiring  are fine as they are.  Cleaning of the clips should be done after every launch.  I probably need new wiring for my stuff.

New question, what's the best method of cleaning the clips?  I think white vinegar is commonly used.

BTW, one batter puts out 12.75 volts, the other 12.58.  Neither was fully charged before the test.

Charlie

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1
Quote from Ckirlew on May 15, 2023, 8:02 pm

New question, what's the best method of cleaning the clips?  I think white vinegar is commonly used.

Bartender's Friend and an old toothbrush.  Then vinegar and a good rinse.

On ships we'd use any of a few things, including: this stuff.

Wear good chemical gloves and goggles. Old clothes, which you should change immediately after. Work outside. And never ever pour it down the drain without diluting it well. But its awesome stuff.

But maybe that's slight overkill.

Zielijo1
Quote from Eric Becher on May 15, 2023, 8:25 pm

On ships we'd use any of a few things, including: this stuff.

Wear good chemical gloves and goggles. Old clothes, which you should change immediately after. Work outside. And never ever pour it down the drain without diluting it well. But its awesome stuff.

But maybe that's slight overkill.

Charlie could used weakened phosphoric acid — It's called Coka Cola. 😉

BTW, it's Barkeeper's Friend.  BF is oxalic acid.  Make a paste with it and a bit of water.  Toothbrush and the BF paste will quickly clean off the clips.  Wear gloves.  It's not dangerous but it dries out your skin.

Quote from Admin on May 15, 2023, 9:02 pm

Charlie could used weakened phosphoric acid — It's called Coka Cola. 😉

I wouldn't recommend regular Coke... That has sugar (well, corn syrup), which will leave a sticky residue.

Use Diet Coke, which doesn't have the sticky stuff.

That's why all the Diet Coke and Mentos experiements use diet coke.... easier to clean up the resulting mess.

I'm not sure the clips are up to it, but maybe a wire or nylon brush on a drill would be a quick way of handling this

Zielijo1

ok, as Bones would say on Star trek

I’m a pharmacist ( doctor) not a electrician ( or bricklayer)

when are we planning the maintenance at Brian’s house? Launch controller, a new rail, etc

The controller issue is resolved for now.  We have three.  That gives us up to 18 different pads.  What we need now is at least one more 1/4" rod and one 1010 rail.  Duplicating the 1/4" should be fairly easy except for the chuck to hold the rod.  Have to look into that a bit.

The 1010 rail needs some planning.  There are 3 basic components, the base, the tilt mechanism, and the rail.  Base can be a duplicate of what we have if we can find one.  The rail is easy.  Not sure how to do the tilt.  We should have 3 axes of adjustment.  The base only provides 2.  Thoughts/ideas?

Quote from Ckirlew on May 23, 2023, 9:01 pm

The controller issue is resolved for now.  We have three.  That gives us up to 18 different pads.  What we need now is at least one more 1/4" rod and one 1010 rail.  Duplicating the 1/4" should be fairly easy except for the chuck to hold the rod.  Have to look into that a bit.

Drill chucks are readily available.  Amazon or, because you work for Home Depot, you should be able to find one there.  Make sure it's a keyless chuck.  It doesn't need to be a heavy duty chuck either.  Something for a hand drill and probably 3/8 inch max.

The 1010 rail needs some planning.  There are 3 basic components, the base, the tilt mechanism, and the rail.  Base can be a duplicate of what we have if we can find one.  The rail is easy.  Not sure how to do the tilt.  We should have 3 axes of adjustment.  The base only provides 2.  Thoughts/ideas?

Equivalent to the Rockwell Jawstand (which is now $120), this one is only $75.

https://www.amazon.com/Triton-MSA200-Multi-Stand-Multi-Purpose-Adjustable/dp/B011RU9ALG/

BTW, I'd like a stab at the mounting system so that the rail(s) (presumably, we should have 1010 and 20mm) can be quickly changed if needed.  That nonsense with the screws and washers on the current system is borderline diabolical.

PreviousPage 2 of 3Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.