Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

April 2023 Launch Report

Page 1 of 2Next

April came in like a lion this year.  While the pads were setup and ready to go by 12:30, no one was willing to fly right away.  The winds were very close to 20 mph.  Charlie didn’t even fly his Snitch until after 1:00.  After that, one intrepid TARC team did a test flight.  Then the fun began.

Since many of the club members were down in Maryland at Red Glare, only a few of the regulars were on hand to launch.  We had a total of 13 launches from club members.  Brian C. wasn’t bothered by the winds and flew several E and D motors.  The electric company has been notified about one of his almost recoveries.  On a happier note, one of the TARC teams found his Star Orbiter from the March launch!

A – 2

B – 1

C – 6

D – 1

E - 3

We are one of the few rocket clubs in the New York/New Jersey area that can (barely) support TARC launches.  TARC is an annual national competition for high school age rocket teams.  The results have to be entered by the first Monday of April.  Naturally, many teams wait until the last day to get their qualifying flights in.  For some teams, this was the only chance they had to get any flights in.  School board bureaucracy can play havoc with hopes and dreams.

Here are the motor totals for TARC flights:

C – 2

D – 2

E – 1

F – 19

As you can see, most of the teams opted for F motors.  One team tried a 4 motor cluster of 2 Cs and 2 Ds.  Only one of the motors ignited.  It’s ok, it didn’t get high enough to fall that hard.  Another good learning experience.

There were a number of other learning experiences, mostly parachute separations.  Fortunately, very few eggs were damaged!  There were also several very good flights, both for coming close to the target altitude and the target duration.  Every team enjoyed the event, and they all said they learned a lot.  Several teams are planning to come back and launch with us some more.  There were some parents that wanted to get into rocketry as well!

The TARC teams were not the only ones that learned from the event.  Most of the teams used rail buttons or guides, the rest used the ¼” rod.  We only have one rail and one ¼” rod, so there were some lines waiting for them.  We will be looking to expand our equipment.

Many thanks to Evan, Tom and Brian C. for helping manage the launches while Charlie was the official NAR observer.

Looking forward to next year’s competition!

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

Thanks Charlie for the above report, and for running the launch. For those who don't know, Charlie not only mentors the TARC teams at our launches, but he has traveled to a handful of other locations in the last few weeks to attend TARC qualifying launches. It's a vital service for the young students who are competing in this national competition. Charlie has taken on a lot these last few weeks, culminating yesterday as the last day of qualifying launches. Thanks once again Charlie!

And I'll add my thanks and appreciation to those who stepped up and helped Charlie in the absence of those of us who selfishly went to Red Glare to play in the farm fields. Thanks Evan, Brian, and Tom for keeping the lights on.

Admin and Zielijo1 have reacted to this post.
AdminZielijo1

Oh, and if anyone has any pictures from yesterday, please post them in the gallery.

Thanks!

I've already said thanks to Charlie for running the April launch but thank you again Charlie.  I've also posted a copy of an email from the Staten Island Technical High School TARC team thanking both Charlie and CENJARS.

The SITHS TARC send me a link to a Google drive folder containing images and videos.  There was one .JPG and the rest were .HEIC (image) and .MOV (video) files. .HEIC is not an acceptable format for the web, so I'd need to convert all of their image files.  The .MOVs would need to be uploaded to YouTube or VIMEO to be shared on the website. I posted the one .JPG.  I'll need to do some sub-album setup under the STEM & TARC Launches album category to post all that they've shared.

Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher

What's funny is that I went through the process to run an egg-launch (even brought a clipboard); but our entire launch was pretty much dominated by the TARC teams, so there was no other agenda this month. I got in a few launches and as usual, lost one rocket. I'm not touching electrical lines for a $25 kit, so that's that. Of another note, I just discovered the Aerotech E20, which is louder and seems more powerful than the Quest E26, and I also learned not to use an E20 in conjuction with a plastic Estes Parachute, as the ejection charge appears to have shredded the chute. All I was left with was a rocket with a busted fin and shroud lines. I also flew my first E35 on Sunday, and wow, that one is also a hoot. Definitely going for more E20 and E35's in the future.

Zielijo1Eric Becher

So no egg contest? Bummer. Do you want to run it next month instead?

You're right, those Aerotech E's are nice on our little field, especially with larger rockets that the Estes E12 struggles with. Wish they were a little cheaper though.

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1
Quote from Brian C. on April 4, 2023, 9:34 am

… I just discovered the Aerotech E20, which is louder and seems more powerful than the Quest E26, and I also learned not to use an E20 in conjuction with a plastic Estes Parachute, as the ejection charge appears to have shredded the chute. All I was left with was a rocket with a busted fin and shroud lines. I also flew my first E35 on Sunday, and wow, that one is also a hoot. Definitely going for more E20 and E35's in the future.

The Aerotech motor charges are larger than most.  Also, the way the ejection charge well is designed, there's a rubber plug that maintains the black powder in the motor.  When that black powder charge ignites, that rubber plug is like a rubber bullet.  You may want to invest in some lightweight nylon parachutes and eschew the bread-bag plastic parachutes.  Also, try a kevlar wrap for the parachute in lieu of wadding or barf.

I employed deployment bags — both drogue and main — for the first time in my ARCAS I launched at Red Glare. It'd be great if there were small bags for smaller rockets.  The bags are kevlar, like the blanket wraps, but designed to have the parachute stuffed into them. They insure that the shroud lines are extended before the parachute is allowed to bloom and all well outside and away from the ejection charge.

Zielijo1
Quote from Eric Becher on April 4, 2023, 10:09 am

So no egg contest? Bummer. Do you want to run it next month instead?

Does it make sense in May?? I threw out the eggs I had brought, and the price of eggs these days... That said, I did not launch my "green eggs" nor "Olympus" rockets, but also, I already have a slew of (10) rockets I want to launch next month already lined up, including my first CLUSTER. May is also the anniversary of Alan Shepard's flight and I just finished up a Mercury Redstone. So many rockets, not enough launch time.

Zielijo1Eric Becher

Launching anything in any month always makes sense! 🤣

I was asking in case you were looking forward to running the contest and wanted to carry through with it. Even if you and I were the only ones, I'd enter it with you if you wanted to. But no worries. Plenty to celebrate next month, as you said.

I hear you on the potential flights stacking up, although my backlog isn't quite so bad at the moment. It will also be close to "May the 4th be with you" Day, which is always a favorite of our Grand Exalted Poohbah. I might try a couple of my RG rockets in our little field, if the wind isn't too bad. Most of them flew well, although one had a chute release issue and free-fell. Have to do some repairs on that one.

And I always like to fly my Redstone, even if it is a little delicate. 😬

Zielijo1
Quote from Eric Becher on April 5, 2023, 1:45 pm

It will also be close to "May the 4th be with you" Day, which is always a favorite of our Grand Exalted Poohbah.

That's libelous speech! 🤨

Cinco De Mayo is closer.  I may launch a taco! 🤪

Zielijo1Eric Becher
Page 1 of 2Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.