Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Wall Township "Christmas Tree" Lighting

Page 1 of 2Next

CENJARS has been asked if we'd be interested in attending the Wall Township "Christmas Tree" lighting event on the 8th of December 18:00/6:00 pm. I'm game if you are. It's no cost to us, unlike the Wall Kids Day event.

We could do a small night launch but that requires that class 1 rockets maintain illumination from launch to touchdown. I have an Estes AstronBeam that has never been launched. Cool LED lights. I'd probably give it a test launch at the December launch.

We can hand out club brochures but the launch is what really gets the kids turned on and focused. I've also toyed with making small card stock rocket ornaments with the laser. Here's a small video of the ornament being created and a photo of the result. If this looks like something that may be fun to hand out, I can burn as many as I can until the 8th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8txFPSrrYw

Uploaded files:
  • 20231122_164945.jpg
Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

3 comments:

1. The laser thingy is cool!

2. I'm game if others are, but I don't feel it is something we must do. It's also an outdoor event and will be chilly, but I can dress for the occasion. Finally, I think I might be able to throw something together that has lights (small led string in a clear payload bay), but that would be about the best I can do on short notice. Just so we have something else to throw up into the air.

3. The laser thingy is cool! Jo Ann (capital J, Capital A, 2 words, no "e") watched your video. She will have a short 3-page list of projects for you soon! 😁

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin
Quote from Eric Becher on November 22, 2023, 6:23 pm

3 comments:

1. The laser thingy is cool!

👍

2. I'm game if others are, but I don't feel it is something we must do. It's also an outdoor event and will be chilly, but I can dress for the occasion. Finally, I think I might be able to throw something together that has lights (small led string in a clear payload bay), but that would be about the best I can do on short notice. Just so we have something else to throw up into the air.

I can make a short video of the Astrobeam but here's an image I found from a Google search.

3. The laser thingy is cool! Jo Ann (capital J, Capital A, 2 words, no "e") watched your video. She will have a short 3-page list of projects for you soon! 😁

Only 3 pages? I was expecting more. 😉

Uploaded files:
  • est_astrobeam04.jpg
Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

2. Mine wouldn't be that cool.

3. She writes small, but she can add pages if you're bored. 😉

Quote from Eric Becher on November 22, 2023, 9:44 pm

2. Mine wouldn't be that cool.

This was an Estes kit. I got it after attending a night launch at NSL. It's got four LEDs and a small sequencing control chip that permits selection of several flash patterns. It run on three, IIRC, LR44 button cell batteries.

3. She writes small, but she can add pages if you're bored. 😉

I'm never bored. 😉

Ok, so are we committed to doing this event, with night launches? Just wondering so:

1. I can block it out on my calendar, and
  2. I can start construction on my night rocket. (I have a plan, and the parts)

Did we confirm attendance with Wall Township? (And ask/tell them about the launches)

I was just down at the library.  There were no outside lights in the back.  There are the fancy street lights in the courtyard and the amphitheater.  I don't think it would be that safe to have people walk out to the field to see the launch.  It would be difficult to setup and run the launch without extra lighting.  It would be cool though.

Understood, valid, and agree.

I do have a couple of small, but bright, construction floodlights, and a few other small clip lights. Also plenty of extension cords (hundreds of feet). So I could throw some light around their lawn and at our table, IF they would let us run some power from someplace. (Are there outlets close by in the amphitheater or on the side of the building?) I would guess they will be bringing in some portable floodlights too? Wouldn't be stadium lighting, but should be just enough to see if anyone was walking in the landing area. If it was too bright you wouldn't see the glowing/flashing rockets anyway.

Might have to call the organizers and see what power is available and where.

Admin

There's a contact name in the forwarded email. I'll give a call Monday. I'll ask about conducting a night launch behind the library and what could be done to illuminate pathways to the rear of the building.

I like the plan(s).  Only problem is I don't have a lighted rocket to fly.  I also don't have any time to build one.

Admin
Page 1 of 2Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.