Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Solar eclipse April 8 2024

fyi the NJ astronomer club in Jenny jump park will hold an event Apr 8, 1-6p free. These guys have plenty of large telescopes

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_1711.png
Quote from Zielijo1 on February 9, 2024, 10:18 am

fyi the NJ astronomer club in Jenny jump park will hold an event Apr 8, 1-6p free. These guys have plenty of large telescopes

You won't see much here in NJ. I doubt the sun would even appear dimmed slightly.

A total eclipse of the sun is really one of the most amazing celestial spectacles one can witness. I went to my sister's farm in South Carolina in 2017 as her farm was in the path of totality. The central line was about 10 miles to the north, so we went to a small park in Saluda to view it. It was more fun that way too because there were many others gathered there for the same purpose. The only negative is that it was South Carolina. For some reason, southerners find any excuse possible to set off fireworks. SMH!

Because total solar eclipses are so rare, I urge everyone to consider traveling to view it in the path of totality. It's almost magical. Everyone in the park in 2017 was great as we were all there for one purpose, the eclipse!

And everything under the sun is in tuneBut the sun is eclipsed by the moon.
Uploaded files:
  • Collage.jpg

I gotta ask... why would they hold an eclipse event with telescopes in a park - that is RAIN OR SHINE? Would you really see much if it's raining?

I was in Alaska for the eclipse in 2017. It was very cloudy and overcast and wet. We didn't even notice that it happened (should have seen 60-70% coverage). Thank goodness we didn't travel for it. Seeing one would be cool (have seen some partial ones), but with my luck, I'd travel to somewhere like the Sahara Desert and it would be overcast.

Looks like we'd see about 90% coverage here. I'm retired, so that's good enough for me. But I do look forward to Jeff's pictures when he returns from his trip to see it. He gets some awesome shots!

Quote from Eric Becher on February 9, 2024, 11:47 am

Looks like we'd see about 90% coverage here. I'm retired, so that's good enough for me. But I do look forward to Jeff's pictures when he returns from his trip to see it. He gets some awesome shots!

Even 90% isn't all that much. The real exciting event is totality.

In 2017, my sister invited us down for the eclipse but we didn't confirm until it was really close to the day of the even because of weather viewing conditions. I set aside several locations at the 1000 miles mark. I could drive that in under a day. Happily, the weather for late August was great, so we hopped in the car and drove. Stupidly, we took I-95 down. The trek was much longer than it should have been because the entire NEUS was headed down I-95 to view the eclipse. 700 miles to my sister's farm took us over 20 hours. 🙁

I have a friend in London who has traveled all over the globe to see solar eclipses. He was in Wyoming with the British Astronomical Society for the 2017 eclipse. They too were lucky with the weather.

Kevin said we should go to Niagara Falls. NO WAY!!! On a normal day, Niagara Falls has too many people. I can't imagine being there for the eclipse with even more people. Besides, the weather around Niagara Falls in early April is not likely to be great for viewing.

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1

Not sure what my plans would be. Either Jenny jump or drive to Pittsburgh

Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.