Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Scouting University (March 4, 2023)

Page 1 of 2Next

I received the following email regarding CENJARS presenting at the Scouting University on March 4, 2023. If you can attend and help, this information is for you.

24 February 2023

Mr. Brian Schenkenberger
Central New Jersey Area Rocket Society

Dear Mr. Schenkenberger:

Thank you for agreeing to attend our 2023 Scouting University on March 4 at the Barnegat High School in Barnegat, NJ.  One table and two chairs will be available for you to set up your displays.  The school will be open about 7 AM. It is suggested that you arrive around 10 AM< to set up your displays. I plan on being there to meet you and direct you to your display area. This maximizes your visibility between 11 AM and 2 PM. You are welcome to come earlier and stay later. I suggest using the back entrance, at the cafeteria, to enter the building.   I will situate myself there to meet you.

You are welcome to bring food into the building for your breakfast and lunch.  Food will not be available for this event.

Because of budgetary concerns, we are asking for a registration fee of $10 per organization this year.  This can be waived if your organization is willing to give us something we can use as a door prize or give away. Some examples of items that could be used in a raffle are admission tickets to your organization, a t-shirt, a coffee mug or things like that.  Let me know how you want to handle this.

Please make all checks out to “Jersey Shore Council, Boy Scouts of America”

Those who are participating in our Community Sponsorship Program don’t have to worry about this.

As promised, here are the directions to the school:

DIRECTIONS:

From the South:  GSP N to exit 67/Barnegat.  Right at the end of the ramp, continue to 2nd light (7-11, Walgreens, Rite-Aid) – left at light.  Through next traffic light, and over a small hill.  Go to the bottom of the hill and make a left onto Bengal Blvd. You will see the school’s marquee. Go about 2500 feet to the entrance to the high school grounds.  Make a right through the fence and head toward the school.  At the intersection make a right and follow that around to the back of the school.  At the end of the road you will see the cafeteria.

From the North:  GSP S to exit 67/Barnegat.  Right at light at exit, right again onto West Bay (Wawa, CVS) Left at 3rd light (7-11, Walgreens, and Rite-Aid). Through next traffic light, and over a small hill.  Go to the bottom of the hill and make a left onto Bengal Blvd. You will see the school’s marquee. Go about 2500 feet to the entrance to the high school grounds.  Make a right through the fence and head toward the school.  At the intersection make a right and follow that around to the back of the school.  At the end of the road you will see the cafeteria.

From Route 9 – Turn West onto Barnegat Blvd (Wawa, TD Bank).  After turn, go to first light and make a right turn. You will see the school’s marquee. Go about 2500 feet to the entrance to the high school grounds.  Make a right through the fence and head toward the school.  At the intersection make a right and follow that around to the back of the school.  At the end of the road you will see the cafeteria.

From West – Take 72 East, left onto 554/West Bay Ave.  Continue about 6 miles, passing through 5 lights total, left at 5th light (7-11, Walgreens, Rite-Aid) go through next traffic light, and over a small hill.  Go to the bottom of the hill and make a left onto Bengal Blvd. You will see the school’s marquee. Go about 2500 feet to the entrance to the high school grounds.  Make a right through the fence and head toward the school.  At the intersection make a right and follow that around to the back of the school.  At the end of the road you will see the cafeteria.

If you have any questions or concerns please e-mail me at {email elided for privacy} or call me at {phone number elided for privacy}. I look forward to meeting you.

Sincerely,

Kurt Stofko

Do not concern yourself with the $10 fee mentioned.  I will bring several of our Make-n-Take Alphas for their raffle.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
  • 1 table isn't too big for all our display rockets, but we'll make do. I'll throw a few in the car and see what we can use.
  • I can bring some stickers for the raffle too (so they know where the rockets came from).
  • Do we have any of those brochures?
  • Charlie, do we have the informational poster/sign I made up last year?
  • We're still doing the video display, right? I have about a hundred pics and a handful of videos on a stick. I can also bring some extension cords.
  • I assume we won't be trying to do any launches then?

Yes, I have the poster.

Did you use the video from FB of my Decaffinator exploding?

Charlie

Eric Becher

No. I tried not to highlight our "less than optimal" flights. 😁

I'm actually not sure I can pull video from Facebook. Every time I look at it, it is different, and I see less and less. I am down to only seeing a few of the latest pictures posted. No messages, comments, videos, or past anything. I don't know what's going on. Either changes at Facebook or problems with my computers. It's almost worthless to try looking at it.

But... If anyone wishes to add some of their own pics or videos to the collection, bring them on a stick. We can either transfer them over via Brian's laptop, or I can take it home and transfer it via my computer for future use.

I was able to look at a list of different videos and all the albums that I have created over the years.  I may have different permissions due to my past position in FB's mind.

I do have them as an MP4 in slow-mo and live action in .MOV.  Can't attach them due to the file size.

Quote from Eric Becher on February 25, 2023, 9:48 am
  • 1 table isn't too big for all our display rockets, but we'll make do. I'll throw a few in the car and see what we can use.

I have a small, low profile, table I could bring too if Martha isn't needing it for her crocheting that day.

• I can bring some stickers for the raffle too (so they know where the rockets came from).

That's great!

• Do we have any of those brochures?

I will see if Staples could print the brochures from the artwork files I have.  I still have not braved the color duplex laser printer cleanup.

• Charlie, do we have the informational poster/sign I made up last year?

I have a CENJARS sign that I had printed.  I'll bring it.

• We're still doing the video display, right? I have about a hundred pics and a handful of videos on a stick. I can also bring some extension cords.

I'll have the MacBook Pro and a Samsung display that is 28in × 16in.

• I assume we won't be trying to do any launches then?

No launches which is why we want the photos and videos.

I have plenty of tables, but I wonder/doubt if they would give us any space for them. If they do, I can bring a few.

Quote from Eric Becher on February 25, 2023, 4:36 pm

I have plenty of tables, but I wonder/doubt if they would give us any space for them. If they do, I can bring a few.

We'll have to play it by ear.  This is a new participation event for CENJARS.  I suspect, however, that being this is held in the Barnegat High School that there'd be plenty of space available if we needed it.  We'll have those answers next weekend.

Bring interesting rockets; something that would inspire them to want to know more and ask questions.

I'll have the MacBookPro and larger parasitic monitor. If we can get on the school's internet, we'll have a wealth of information we can show to those that want to know.

Eric Becher

I can do "interesting".

I'll throw a couple of 4' tables in the car and some good rockets.

Quote from Eric Becher on February 26, 2023, 9:18 am

I can do "interesting".

I'll throw a couple of 4' tables in the car and some good rockets.

I've emailed Kurt to ask him about our concerns.  Awaiting his reply.

Eric Becher
Page 1 of 2Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.