Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

October 2022 Scheduled Launch

CENJARS members,

Even though we just held the September launch, we are already looking forward to the October launch on Sunday the 2nd. This will mark the 15th anniversary of CENJARS. To celebrate the occasion we are planning on the following:

1. Ice cream cake

2. A 15 rocket mass launch

3. A contest to mark the occasion, with prizes

The rules of the contest are as follows:

a.    One entry per person (or for families, 1 for each family member)

b.    The rocket must be built for this event. Kits or scratch built are fine. Any size rocket will do. Ready to fly rockets (i.e. Estes’ Saturn V, Artemis, or Blue Origin molded plastic kits) are not qualified, unless they have been substantially, and safely, altered (as judged by CENJARS President).

c.    The rocket must fly at this event, and be recovered (in any number of pieces).

d.    Judging will be by “secret” ballot. Each person present at the launch (spectators and/or non-members included) may vote for their favorite rocket of the day (one vote per person). What makes it their favorite rocket is entirely up to the voting individual.

e.    Prize packages given to the 1st and 2nd place individuals based on the number of votes received.

f.    In the case of a tie, the finishers may split their prize package(s) at their own discretion.

A display table will be set up for the rockets entered, and where voting will occur. It is also possible that we will choose the 15 rockets to be mass-launched from this table, but if not, we ask that each rocket be flown before we open up the voting.

I know this is short notice, but with some imagination, and a trip to Hobby Lobby, I'm sure anyone can come up with something they are proud to fly and display.

In addition to the festivities, we will likely be hosting a TARC-like event for a local school science program. We do not anticipate this to be a major disruption as they will only be launching a few rockets.

Schedule of events should be something like:

1230 set up
1300 start flying, including TARC
1400 15 rocket launch
1430 all contest flights finished and on display. Voting begins.
1500 Talley votes
1515-ish award prizes

We hope to see you on the field and Good Luck to all.

alex has reacted to this post.
alex

All,

Have you been inspired by any great ideas for the rocket contest? How about observing the 15th Anniversary of CENJARS? Halloween?

We've been busy here in the basement rocket shop. We have 4 under construction, heading to the paint shop. One I will enter in the contest. Jo Ann is building another. 2 will be Halloween themed. Snarky 2.0 might not make it in time though (Snarky 1.0 is still partly in a tree).

Still plenty of time to build something fun that just might win you a prize!

Uploaded files:
  • 4-rockets-in-process.jpg
alex has reacted to this post.
alex

The weather forecast doesn't look very favorable at the moment:(

Quote from alex on September 30, 2022, 1:56 pm

The weather forecast doesn't look very favorable at the moment:(

No it doesn't look favorable.  Many other events for this weekend have been canceled.  I'm composing a notice now and this weekend's launch will be scrubbed.  The forecasted PoP increases as the day goes on but the real problem is the high winds in excess of 20MPH.

I will be emaining the my point of contact to request another date for the October launch.  A later date in October will help get everybody in their Halloween spirit, so we can celebrate the 15th Anniversary of the club and Halloween in one launch.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

No, it doesn't look like good flying weather... unless you want to hike through the dark forest of doom looking for wayward, wind-driven cardboard tubes.

The good news: everyone has more time to make a rocket for the contest!

And yes - the Halloween theme will be in full swing. Jo Ann finished her "sweet" rocket for the contest that is also in good taste for the fall/Halloween spirit. (hint, hint)

I've got 2 new ones as well. One to celebrate the 15th Anniversary of CENJARS. The other is also a Halloween one that will rattle your bones! (more hints) I'm tempted to post pictures, but don't want to ruin the big reveal at the field!

Keep building and we'll see everyone soon!

What, we are scrubbed? What are we, NASA? I was looking forward to launching my first "F" motor'ed rocket, and I got a whole new slew of kits and scratch builds (including something funny for the contest) just screaming to go. Well, OK, we are scrubbed, but just this once.

TTYL Brian C.

Quote from Brian C. on September 30, 2022, 5:18 pm

What, we are scrubbed? What are we, NASA? I was looking forward to launching my first "F" motor'ed rocket, and I got a whole new slew of kits and scratch builds (including something funny for the contest) just screaming to go. Well, OK, we are scrubbed, but just this once.

TTYL Brian C.

Unlike NASA, the only 'leaks' we need to contend with come from the clouds. 😉

Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.