Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Millstone Scouts build and launch this weekend.

Calling all CENJARS Rocketeers,

If you consult the club's Calendar, you will see that we have a build night and a launch with the Millstone scouts. The build is Friday evening, August 17, 2020 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. The launch is scheduled for the next day, Saturday, August 18, 2023 at 9:00am.

CENJARS has assisted these scouts for the past several years and it's always a fun time with the kids. If you can, come out and help us with the build and or launch. We also bring some of our rockets to fly with/for them. They like that too!

The directions for each day are available from the Calendar entries. Both events are in the same general area. For the build, we simply oversee and assist them in the assembly of their simple rocket kits. For the launch, it's CENJARS launch equipment; you're all familiar with that. What's really needed is some assistance to get their rockets prepped for launch — motors, ignitors, wadding, and parachutes folded and inserted so that they'll deploy.

Friday evening is indoors without mosquitos! Saturday looks to be a perfectly delightful day to be outdoors! Low to mid 70ºF temps, clear skies, low humidity and breezy winds from the west.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

I'll be there for both days. Will bring tools, extra tables, etc. Looking forward to it. Good kids. Lots of fun.

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

I will not be there on Friday.

I will be there on Saturday.  However, I may need to leave early.  I have a family event and my daughter hasn't told me when I need to be there.  I will more than likely need someone to take back to club equipment.

Thanks,

Charlie

Admin and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
AdminEric Becher
Quote from Ckirlew on August 17, 2023, 7:48 pm

I will not be there on Friday.

I will be there on Saturday.  However, I may need to leave early.  I have a family event and my daughter hasn't told me when I need to be there.  I will more than likely need someone to take back to club equipment.

Thanks,

Charlie

We'll work it out if you need to leave early.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

I will be able to drive Jo Ann's Outback, which should hold all the launch gear, as long as I don't bring too much of my own junk. So you're covered. But if you really need, I can pick up the gear and you don't really have to go at all. Up to you. Send me a separate email if you'd like to arrange something.

New start time: O900.

(What's the "O" stand for? Oh my God it's early!)

Setting up around 0800-0830. Hope to see some folks. Should be a nice morning.

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

For those who missed it (almost everyone) the Millstone Scouts build and launch was successful and a good time. We met the scouts at the Millstone Community Center on Friday night. Brian and Eric helped a bunch of kids, who were there with their parents, to build Estes' E2X rockets. The Scout leader was directing the step-by-step instructions, so we just went from table to table helping the kids and answering questions. The kids did a pretty good job building some nice rockets.

Saturday morning we met at the Millstone Middle School. A nice morning, although a little windier than we'd hoped. But still nice enough to fly. And that we did. The Scouts all came (about 10 of them), plus their parents and a few siblings. They finished decorating their rockets from the night before and they all looked great. What's more - they all flew really well! Aside from a few stuck parachutes, which didn't really hurt them any, all rockets flew perfectly! None hit the trees or roof or anything. Nice job kids! And once again, the Scout leaders and parents were on top of their game and did much of the work for us. Brian S., Eric, Charlie, and Ken assisted, but after the first round, the kids were up to speed in rocket preparation. Most of them flew 3 times each before we were finished.

Charlie also flew his nice "America's Cup." Brian flew his "Green Eggs and Ham," which unfortunately took a hard landing in the parking lot. It will be back I'm sure. Eric flew his "Protostar", which the kids seemed to enjoy. A few other saucers, spools, and gyro-thingys flew too. So we got in a little of our own flights, just to show the kids that we can also build and fly.

In all, it was a nice morning of flying with some great kids. They were enthusiastic, and caught on quick. Always a fun couple of hours with the Millstone Scouts, and we hope to see them again.

Pictures of the Build and the Launch are in the gallery. Brian also has a video posted there of some of the proceedings. If you have the time next year, I hope some other CENJARS folks come out and help. You won't be disappointed!

Admin and Zielijo1 have reacted to this post.
AdminZielijo1

Nice. Did they also track the altitude old school?

No, that guy wasn't there this time. Poohbah even had his high tech Estes altitude measuring pistol. Didn't use it though.

Sorry I missed it, sounds like all there had a good weekend. I will be sure to make the next one.

Admin and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
AdminEric Becher
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.