Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Metra V Cenjars

I'm not that familiar with Metra, but I see that they begin their season on March 25-26. With Cenjars on the 5th, I can launch at both ends of the month (weather permitting). Now the question is; what to bring to each? March 26, BTW, will mark the 1 year anniversary since I became a "born again rocketeer", by purchasing an Estes Big Bertha while I was in a hobby shop. While I have some bigger rockets to bring to Metra, a lot of my 3" diameter fleet remains unpainted, therefore, not ready for prime time, but I still have a month to try and finish stuff up. And then looking forward from that, I see RED GLARE is the first weekend of April, meaning Cenjars will likely postpone until the next weekend?? I am hoping to go to at least one day of Red Glare so I can see some bigger stuff.

Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher
Quote from Brian C. on February 13, 2023, 5:43 pm

I'm not that familiar with Metra, but I see that they begin their season on March 25-26. With Cenjars on the 5th, I can launch at both ends of the month (weather permitting). Now the question is; what to bring to each?

METRA is a Tripoli Prefecture and they have an FAA COA to 4500AGL.  Most of the flights are of larger level 1, 2 and some 3 rockets. You can still launch smaller rockets off of their rods and rails too. Generally, Wildman Connecticut is on site for METRA launches to sell rocket motors.  Ted Chernok, OneBadHawk, is almost always there too hawking — no pun intended — his recovery harnesses, hardware and sundry other rocket supplies.

As for CENJARS, you should already know what to bring there!

March 26, BTW, will mark the 1 year anniversary since I became a "born again rocketeer", by purchasing an Estes Big Bertha while I was in a hobby shop. While I have some bigger rockets to bring to Metra, a lot of my 3" diameter fleet remains unpainted, therefore, not ready for prime time, but I still have a month to try and finish stuff up.

I will very likely, if the weather permits it, attend the first METRA launch of the year.  I missed too many last season, so I want to start off on a good leg even though I don't have any good legs.

And then looking forward from that, I see RED GLARE is the first weekend of April, meaning Cenjars will likely postpone until the next weekend?? I am hoping to go to at least one day of Red Glare so I can see some bigger stuff.

Red Glare is, indeed, the first weekend in April.  However, I doubt that CENJARS will hold its launch the following weekend due to Easter.  I'd happily fly but I'd wager that many members will be doing the family feast that day.

Yes, I've gone to some Metra launches (October and November) and asked the usual stupid questions. Since then I have joined Tripoli and Metra, so I am "legal" to fly there. Despite there being a creek and trees nearby, I feel safe flying my F-motor'ed rockets given the fact that most launches are H and up. The goal for this year for me is to get comfortable flying F and G, start flying RMS loads instead of disposable motors, and then perhaps near the end of the season go for L1. That means a lot of stupid little things to learn (like getting my rail buttons straight), so, goals for this week include getting a section of 1010 rail to use as a guide. I've built a 5-foot tall, 3" diameter BMS school rocket that's been heavily modified, so I'm pretty confident I can use that for L1, but obviously, I'm going to first fly it on a few higher-end F and G to make sure it can survive an H.

Quote from Brian C. on February 14, 2023, 9:57 am

Yes, I've gone to some Metra launches (October and November) and asked the usual stupid questions. Since then I have joined Tripoli and Metra, so I am "legal" to fly there. Despite there being a creek and trees nearby, I feel safe flying my F-motor'ed rockets given the fact that most launches are H and up. The goal for this year for me is to get comfortable flying F and G, start flying RMS loads instead of disposable motors, and then perhaps near the end of the season go for L1. That means a lot of stupid little things to learn (like getting my rail buttons straight), so, goals for this week include getting a section of 1010 rail to use as a guide.

If you want only a length of rail for alignment, let me know.  I can get you a length from McMaster-Carr and it won't cost you anything for shipping as I pickup everything at their Will-Call in Robbinsville. A 3ft. section of single low-profile rail will cost about $10.

I do not believe it is necessary to join Tripoli to fly at METRA but you would need to join METRA to fly there. I know a number of NAR-only folks that fly METRA.

I've built a 5-foot tall, 3" diameter BMS school rocket that's been heavily modified, so I'm pretty confident I can use that for L1, but obviously, I'm going to first fly it on a few higher-end F and G to make sure it can survive an H.

CTI H90 😉

Sure!! $10 is pretty cheap compared to Amazon, which wants $30 for a 7ft rail. I was going to check out Metal Supermarket, which is nearby off rt 46 somewhere in Fairfield, but I'm already running out of day. But sure, pick me up a section and I'll pay you back.

Quote from Brian C. on February 14, 2023, 1:46 pm

Sure!! $10 is pretty cheap compared to Amazon, which wants $30 for a 7ft rail. I was going to check out Metal Supermarket, which is nearby off rt 46 somewhere in Fairfield, but I'm already running out of day. But sure, pick me up a section and I'll pay you back.

You're only wanting it to align your launch guides, correct?

Yes, as I cannot launch from my backyard (and you guys already have a rail).... Although if it has other uses around the house (such as being a new cat-toy), I'm sure to put it to other good uses.

Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.