Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Max Q 3D printed Falcon 9

Just got my Max Q rocket yesterday. They make 3D printed rockets at very reasonable prices. Small garage operation with only a few offerings, but nicely detailed. He prints in the required colors so no paint is needed.

So I got the Falcon 9, plus the cargo fairing add-on. It's not a large rocket, but large enough. Again, nice details. Has landing legs that actually fold out (not for flight use). Feels pretty lightweight, but seems strong enough. Easy assembly is expected. The one negative is the finish. While it has nice details and is printed in black and white as it should be, the printing process is not real smooth. I'm tempted to sand and paint it to get a glossy, smooth finish, but the sanding would ruin the details. Plus it cancels the point of printing in the right colors. It's not outrageously rough. Might benefit enough to just paint it without sanding. I'll have to think on this a bit.

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin
Quote from Eric Becher on February 7, 2024, 9:00 am

Just got my Max Q rocket yesterday. They make 3D printed rockets at very reasonable prices. Small garage operation with only a few offerings, but nicely detailed. He prints in the required colors so no paint is needed.

So I got the Falcon 9, plus the cargo fairing add-on. It's not a large rocket, but large enough. Again, nice details. Has landing legs that actually fold out (not for flight use). Feels pretty lightweight, but seems strong enough. Easy assembly is expected. The one negative is the finish. While it has nice details and is printed in black and white as it should be, the printing process is not real smooth. I'm tempted to sand and paint it to get a glossy, smooth finish, but the sanding would ruin the details. Plus it cancels the point of printing in the right colors. It's not outrageously rough. Might benefit enough to just paint it without sanding. I'll have to think on this a bit.

Wow!!! Only $50 to print that? I'm not sure who MaxQ Rocketry is but he's not making enough money for the aggravation of printing the rockets! I can't wait to checkout that Falcon 9!

I know, right! I had a $10 off code too, so it was like getting the cargo add-on for free. The guy works from his house in/near Dallas. The products are works in progress, as he has taken input from customers and made improvements (according to TRF posts).  You can do that when you're not getting parts from China. His customer service is supposed to be very good. He is also polling on what his next release should be. Maybe Starship? I also like the SLS and fairing bundle. Plus free shipping, although this stuff is so lightweight, that can't be much anyway. I've been anxious to get one before he raises prices, or goes out of business. I should have mine ready for launching in March. Aside from paint or not to paint, shouldn't take more than an hour or so to assemble. Brian C. also has a F9, but not flown yet either.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_20240207_110439.jpg
Quote from Eric Becher on February 7, 2024, 11:04 am

I know, right! I had a $10 off code too, so it was like getting the cargo add-on for free. The guy works from his house in/near Dallas. The products are works in progress, as he has taken input from customers and made improvements (according to TRF posts).  You can do that when you're not getting parts from China. His customer service is supposed to be very good. He is also polling on what his next release should be. Maybe Starship? I also like the SLS and fairing bundle. Plus free shipping, although this stuff is so lightweight, that can't be much anyway. I've been anxious to get one before he raises prices, or goes out of business. I should have mine ready for launching in March. Aside from paint or not to paint, shouldn't take more than an hour or so to assemble. Brian C. also has a F9, but not flown yet either.

Do the instruction state what filament type was used to print it? PLA? PLA+? PVC? ABS?

No, it doesn't say. Instructions are very simple actually. And I wouldn't know the difference by sight or feel. Says to use CA or plastic cement to put it together, if that's any clue. You can ask him: support@maxqrockets.com

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin
Quote from Admin on February 7, 2024, 10:34 am
Wow!!! Only $50 to print that? I'm not sure who MaxQ Rocketry is but he's not making enough money for the aggravation of printing the rockets! I can't wait to checkout that Falcon 9!

Here's how that works, I'm guessing of course, but I've seen the 3D printer set-ups at erockets.biz -- if you have multiples of the same model 3D printer all working on different parts of the same model it goes much more quickly. Remember that these guys are cranking this stuff out 24/7, so, he might have a day job he goes to, and when he comes home, there's another completed rocket ready to ship. I don't know how many printers MaxQ has, but I saw 3 at once going at erockets, so I'm going to assume that MaxQ has at least double that churning out parts since that's his primary business, where erockets is just doing it as part of keeping their inventory of parts stocked.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Quote from Brian C. on March 1, 2024, 5:59 pm
Quote from Admin on February 7, 2024, 10:34 am

Here's how that works, I'm guessing of course, but I've seen the 3D printer set-ups at erockets.biz -- if you have multiples of the same model 3D printer all working on different parts of the same model it goes much more quickly. Remember that these guys are cranking this stuff out 24/7, so, he might have a day job he goes to, and when he comes home, there's another completed rocket ready to ship. I don't know how many printers MaxQ has, but I saw 3 at once going at erockets, so I'm going to assume that MaxQ has at least double that churning out parts since that's his primary business, where erockets is just doing it as part of keeping their inventory of parts stocked.

At several $hundred per printer, filament, time and aggravation that should be worth more than $50. I've seen the products of the guys running .2mm at high extruder rates and they're not great; however, that the only way to get things out the door in a reasonable time. I've been printing at a maximum of .16mm and slow extruder rates for better quality prints.

Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.