Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Looking For a Place to Launch F-Series Motor

PreviousPage 3 of 3

@quarterdeck I just ran the simulations again and the velocity of rod is 8.4 m/s. I just wanted to thank everyone for all of their help, especially because this is my first solo build and I really didn't know what I was getting myself into. My only concern with a higher powered motor is going over the height limit that someone mentioned of 800 feet, because the rocket already goes around 220 meters, based off of the simulations, so most likely 200 meters in practice.

I just ran the simulations with an F50, with the results showing 15.9 m/s off of the rail and a 520 meter project maximum altitude.

Yeah, 520m is a little high for our field.

Try a motor in the E range. They should have less overall power, thus lower altitude. But you want a high thrust, at least initially. That's why I suggested an E30-4. There is also an E24-4 that could work. F25-6 or F30-6 might also work, but I suspect will still be a little high. But it's worth it to plug them into your sim.

And in case you're worried that some of these motors are 24mm and you have a 29mm motor tube, we can adapt that to fit.

Which brings up another subject - motor retention. How are you holding the motor in place? Do you have some kind of retainer in place, or are you planning to use friction fit or tape?

The motor is friction fit currently, but I could add tape or glue. I already have the motors, and they fit perfectly. I am going to run some simulations with e-class motors

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Quote from SkyEpstein on July 24, 2024, 9:04 am

Here is the rocket. Some more info: it is fully 3D printed, out of black PLA aero filament from Bambu Labs,

Did you actually weigh each component?

585g is a bit heavy for an F15. The thrust to weight ratio is low. General wisdom's that the TTW should be 5:1.

15N ÷ .585kg × 9.8 m/sec² ≣ 15 kg•m/sec²  ÷ .585kg × 9.8m/sec² ≅ 2.6

You're going to need to boost the thrust! F44 or a G40 would be good choices as your weights do not consider the motor weight.

Does anyone know of a lace where I can buy parts for the model rocket? I have to get new motors and rail buttons. Rocketship games will only ship after the launch.

Quote from SkyEpstein on July 24, 2024, 2:57 pm

Does anyone know of a lace where I can buy parts for the model rocket? I have to get new motors and rail buttons. Rocketship games will only ship after the launch.

Joe@Rocketship Games has a special order key for purchases to be delivered to the field. I know he has rail buttons and he'd have them at the field. I believe you'd be best to use a conformal rail guide in lieu of buttons with a 3D print. Take a look at Thingiverse for Jack Hydrazine's rocket parts. You should be able to find an .STL there. Joe *ALWAYS* travels to our launches with a good selection of motors. You won't need to pre-order unless you feel it's necessary.

Quote from SkyEpstein on July 24, 2024, 2:57 pm

FYI, here are Jack Hydrazine's designs on Thingiverse.com

https://www.thingiverse.com/jackhydrazine/designs

PreviousPage 3 of 3
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.