Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Looking For a Place to Launch F-Series Motor

Page 1 of 3Next

I am looking for a place within an hour of Bay Head, NJ to launch an F-Series rocket. I have spent months designing and building the rocket (mostly building bc procrastination). I would really like to be able to launch, and soon.

Quote from SkyEpstein on July 23, 2024, 1:26 pm

I am looking for a place within an hour of Bay Head, NJ to launch an F-Series rocket. I have spent months designing and building the rocket (mostly building bc procrastination). I would really like to be able to launch, and soon.

You've found it. CENJARS flies in Wall NJ. From Bay Head, NJ just head up Rt. 34 to I-195. That's about 20 miles or so, and certainly within the hour for driving.

F-Series? Do you mean F class motor?

Yes! Sorry, I am new to rocketry and this is my first rocket built fully by myself. In the past, I have been a part of clubs and have not had to buy parts or really design the rockets. See you August 4th!

Admin and Ken Golomb have reacted to this post.
AdminKen Golomb

The big question is how high will the rocket go?  Max altitude should be about 800 feet.  We'll help you with any questions you have.

Simulations have the rocket going 200 meters, so probably a bit lower than that. One question: is it ok that the rocket uses a launch pad instead of launch rails? All simulations were done with a launch rail length of 0.

Quote from SkyEpstein on July 23, 2024, 9:07 pm

Simulations have the rocket going 200 meters, so probably a bit lower than that. One question: is it ok that the rocket uses a launch pad instead of launch rails? All simulations were done with a launch rail length of 0.

~900 feet. That should be fine.

What are you using for simulation?

Quote from SkyEpstein on July 23, 2024, 9:07 pm

One question: is it ok that the rocket uses a launch pad instead of launch rails? All simulations were done with a launch rail length of 0.

Probably not OK, unless it is something unusual like an odd-roc or saucer. The launch rod or rail is needed to keep the rocket going straight until it has enough velocity for the fins to be effective in keeping the rocket stable. If some guidance is not there, the rocket could (likely would) turn in a different direction, then stabilize roughly parallel to the ground and become a very dangerous high speed object.

Search the internet for "model rocket flight fails". Some of the examples in the videos are due to lack of guidance or stability. (there are many other reasons to make the highlight reels too)

If you use a 1/4" rod, ours should give you a usable length of about 4ft (depending on the size of your rocket and position of it's launch lugs). If you use a rail, we have ones that should give you about 6ft of usable length.

Also: the simulations should give you a stability "Caliber" or Cal. That number should ideally be around +1.0 to +2.0.

So should I buy launch rail fittings?

Probably be a good idea. Rail buttons for 1010 rails are popular and easy enough to install. Some folks also like rail guides.

Uploaded files:
  • guides.jpg
  • Rail-Button.jpg

One problem: the nose cone is larger than the actual body of the rocket, meaning that launch lugs or rail buttons cannot easily be added. Again, the simulations did not indicate any problem with not having a launch rail.

Page 1 of 3Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.