Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

JANUARY 2024 RESCHEDULED LAUNCH

Happy New Year CENJARS,

Our launches have been plagued with inclement weather but there's finally a brief break in the weather which means, it's time to get together and launch!

PAY CAREFUL ATTENTION! CENJARS will have a January launch on SATURDAY, January 27, 2024!!! We will be flying on Saturday because the weather forecast for Sunday is rain … again! Also, this launch will begin earlier at 10:00am to allow us more time to fly. Seeing as how we lost our December launch, I'm sure nobody will be upset having more flying time.

Bring out your holiday rockets. We'll have a Christmas in January launch. I know you're all anxious to present your Poobah with gifts from afar. 😉

The current weather forecast for Saturday is a high of 50ºF and winds hovering around 5 to 6MPH. There may be higher velocity gusts but we'll work our way around them. The field may be soggy due to the melted snow and rains over the next few days. Boots may be necessary if you don't want to sink into the soggy sod.

If you come out early, you may want to have some warm beverages and or even a lunch. Dress warm! Being outside for several hours in the upper 40ºFs can chill you.

Mark your calendars and don't forget, this is a special Saturday launch, not Sunday.

I've already contacted Joe Kopena and he said Rocketship Games will be at the launch. If you need motor, rocket or rocket supplies, Joe will be happy to take your money.

Eric Becher, tjkopena and koushh have reacted to this post.
Eric Bechertjkopenakoushh

We'll be there with our Christmas rockets, and I don't know what else. Never did make that Festivus rocket! Lots to choose from!

Looking forward to it, and seeing some folks that we haven't seen in a while. And some new gear for the Club.

Also... Don't forget to renew your membership for 2024. No change in rates. Forms and info here. You can bring me cash or check. I'll have forms at the launch as well.

If you have paid for 2024 already, see me as I should have your membership card for you.

Thanks,

Eric

Chief Secretary

Quote from Eric Becher on January 24, 2024, 6:10 pm

We'll be there with our Christmas rockets, and I don't know what else. Never did make that Festivus rocket! Lots to choose from!

What is a Festivus rocket?

Quote from Admin on January 25, 2024, 1:19 pm
Quote from Eric Becher on January 24, 2024, 6:10 pm

What is a Festivus rocket?

Festivus for the rest of us!

On Festivus, loved ones gather around the Festivus pole. There is the "airing of grievances", followed by the traditional "feats of strength."

So anyway, one of these days I want to make a Festivus pole rocket. A simple, silver, skinny rocket resembling the traditional Festivus pole. Picture a piece of galvanized pipe, but with fins and a nose cone of some sort.

😁

Happy to see that we are launching finally in the month of January......Are we doing any launch party tomorrow? If anyone can bring some hot beverage (like hot chocolate/coffee etc.) that will be great. I can get some chicken snacks, chicken salad, cookies etc. Also, if you like Indian snack (samosa)? If anyone else interested to bring some more food items as per their wish. How many head count are we expecting tomorrow (any guesses)?

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

Guessing a head count would be difficult. This is not our normal routine, don't know how many people will be aware, and winter doesn't usually bring large crowds. On the other hand, it has been a LONG time since we launched. So hard to say.

I'll have a little treat to share, and maybe a little hot chocolate, but I don't have a big thermos, so I won't have enough for everyone. My advice here is, make sure you and your family have what you want, and if you have a little something else to share, that's great, but don't feel you have to feed everybody. If we are there at 10:00, and finish around 4:30 or 5:00 (sunset is a little after 5), that's a long day on the field. Of course, you don't have to be there for the entire day either. And if we are really hungry, there is always Pasquale's Pizza down the street (18th and New Bedford Rd).

Also, be ready for a wet field. Hopefully it won't be a total swamp, but I expect it will still be wet in most places. Bring a chair and table, not a blanket. Wear boots or shoes that can keep your feet dry. And of course, dress warm. Temps in the 40's. But the good news is that there shouldn't be too much wind.

koushh has reacted to this post.
koushh
Quote from Eric Becher on January 26, 2024, 11:42 am

Guessing a head count would be difficult. This is not our normal routine, don't know how many people will be aware, and winter doesn't usually bring large crowds. On the other hand, it has been a LONG time since we launched. So hard to say.

If only members would sign up for an account on the website; then, I could put up an attendance poll for each launch. Not 100% foolproof but it could help gauge the attendance.

I'll have a little treat to share, and maybe a little hot chocolate, but I don't have a big thermos, so I won't have enough for everyone. My advice here is, make sure you and your family have what you want, and if you have a little something else to share, that's great, but don't feel you have to feed everybody. If we are there at 10:00, and finish around 4:30 or 5:00 (sunset is a little after 5), that's a long day on the field. Of course, you don't have to be there for the entire day either. And if we are really hungry, there is always Pasquale's Pizza down the street (18th and New Bedford Rd).

I told House in an email that I could get a box of Joe from Dunkin'. I have some heavy styro-cooler boxes that could hold the coffee at the field to, hopefully, help it warmer longer.

Also, be ready for a wet field. Hopefully it won't be a total swamp, but I expect it will still be wet in most places. Bring a chair and table, not a blanket. Wear boots or shoes that can keep your feet dry. And of course, dress warm. Temps in the 40's. But the good news is that there shouldn't be too much wind.

I'll have my boots in the cars as an option.

Mid-40ºF at 10:00am but close to 50ºF by 1:00pm (13:00). The dampness in the air can make it feel colder but with the lighter winds, it's not much of a wind-chill factor.

koushh has reacted to this post.
koushh

I cannot make it tomorrow as I long ago committed to Winter Field Day with my Radio club. However, I'll see everyone on Feb 4th which so far looks to be decent weather. See ya'll then!!

Eric Becher and koushh have reacted to this post.
Eric Becherkoushh
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.