Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

January 2023 Launch Report

Page 1 of 2Next

January 2023 Launch Report

Happy New Year!

We met on New Year’s Day and we had a good crowd to rocket into the New Year! Weather was fairly warm for January. Winds were supposed to be moderate, but we found there to be a little more breeze than we anticipated. A good streamer day, but some of us were not expecting that, so some folks did some walking. Plenty of water on the field too. Brian said that he should have worn his water proof sandals!

We managed 56 launches, and burned 56 engines, which isn’t bad for a winter launch.

Motor totals:

1 – 1/2A motors

4 – A motors

7 – B motors

25 – C motors (SO many C's!!)

8 – D motors

8 – E motors

3 – F motors

0 – G motors

We saw a nice variety of craft take to the skies. There were saucers and spools, small ones and tall ones, gliders and egg lofters, and we went high and stayed low. Some were fast and some were slow. In all, more successful flights than not.

As is typical around this year, Christmas trees are removed from the house and taken to the curb or some folks even plant theirs in the yard. Eric did the latter with his Christmas tree. It flew a little straighter, but not so high. Planting itself firmly in the soft ground, then and only then, it deployed the chute – successfully I might add. Does anyone make an 18mm E motor?

Neil flew a nice-looking Saturn 1B. Jeff proved that persistence usually pays off, though it might take a few tries. His Tall Daddy finally made a nice flight (8th time’s the charm!). Max’s Shuttle flew nicely a few times, and cut a unique profile. There were a few F motor flights, which always make a nice roar and bright flame. While some went toward the trees behind us or the road, the wind took them all back toward us for recovery. Some may have spoken with student Nishi, who was learning a lot of rocketry from TARC mentor Charlie, and asking good questions. The future of rocketry was in attendance!

A few rockets made it across the field and into the bramble. Jo Ann’s Riddler, Ken’s X-treme, and Brian C.’s V-2 were last seen going into the woods. Couldn’t find them on Sunday. Monday saw the “CENJARS Recovery Committee” assemble at the field around noon. Franz, Ken, Jo Ann and Eric (with special guest star Bill) independently showed up to hunt down the wayward rockets. While we didn’t find Ken’s X-treme, we did find the Riddler, the V-2, and with great effort, recovered Franz’s rocket from the trees (captured a few months ago). We also took in a haul of other rocket parts. (See picture of the pile below) Most were a soggy mess, but if anyone recognizes anything, let me know and I’ll bring it next launch. Several nose cones are salvageable! Not in the picture is a rocket Eric found on in the woods on Sunday. It looks like it was lost some months ago, and had a Chute Release attached. If anyone can lay claim to it, I will also hand that over to you at next launch. Rumor is that the chute releases can be returned for repair at little or no cost.

Lots of folks paid their 2023 dues. Remember to bring a little cash or check at your next launch and you can renew on the spot. You may also download the form from CENJARS.org and mail in a check to Treasurer Tom. Your dues support our outreach efforts, as well as Club equipment, picnics and contests, so thanks to those who pay their dues for everyone’s benefit.

Next launch is Feb 5th. Keep building those Christmas rockets! No conflicts, as the Super Bowl is the following week.

Uploaded files:
  • Rocket-parts-1-2-23.jpg
Admin, Zielijo1 and Brian C. have reacted to this post.
AdminZielijo1Brian C.

I will try to get some pics posted to the gallery tonight. Stay tuned!

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin

Wow, I am amazed that my V-2 was recovered, because I hunted about for it, and couldn't find anything but abandoned plastic bags. But then again, I was looking out for goose poop too much and perhaps not looking hard enough in the trees themselves.

Admin

I'm not exactly sure where it was. Franz came out of the woods with it. If it was in the weeds you would have to almost step on it to see it. If it was in the trees you have to keep looking up and in all directions. Not always easy, and often depends on luck. I'll bring it to the next launch, unless you need it sooner.

Admin

I would have joined the recovery yesterday. Sometimes I believe that the only way to find to rockets lost in that bramble is to have a large contingency walk in a line though that area.

This time of year there's little vegetation, so if you put a sounder in your rocket you may have a better chance of locating and recovering it.  With little to no vegetation, the sound should carry farther.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

Pictures are up. Anyone may feel free to add to the pile!

Admin
Quote from Admin on January 3, 2023, 8:20 pm

I would have joined the recovery yesterday. Sometimes I believe that the only way to find to rockets lost in that bramble is to have a large contingency walk in a line though that area.

This time of year there's little vegetation, so if you put a sounder in your rocket you may have a better chance of locating and recovering it.  With little to no vegetation, the sound should carry farther.

The recovery "team" was not planned. We all just happened to show up around the same time with the same objective. With apologies to Ken, we were fairly successful in locating a few rockets, plus getting Franz's rocket out of the tree in good shape.

Yes, this time of year is the time to go rocket hunting. Lots of good stuff out in those weeds!

I kept the NAR's "Sport Rocketry" magazine (March/April 2022) with the article on building some screamers, but haven't gotten to that one yet. Someday.

Admin

My mercury redstone capsule is in a tree, 50 ft or more

maybe it fell out. It’s in the direction towards the bathroom bldg into the woods

upgrade the Xmas tree to 24mm

nice pixs

Didn't see any capsules, but we didn't see any woods near the bathroom either. (?)

"Upgrade" the tree to 24mm might be a disaster. I don't like the idea of drilling a 1" hole into the business end of the MM tube. I picture a pile of shredded cardboard. But I agree that may be the only way to make it go high enough.

Quote from Eric Becher on January 4, 2023, 9:39 am

Didn't see any capsules, but we didn't see any woods near the bathroom either. (?)

"Upgrade" the tree to 24mm might be a disaster. I don't like the idea of drilling a 1" hole into the business end of the MM tube. I picture a pile of shredded cardboard. But I agree that may be the only way to make it go high enough.

Go big or go home!  29mm! 😜

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Page 1 of 2Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.