Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Garbage Cans

As you may or may not know, Eric and Jo Ann donated two small garbage cans that the acquired at a trade/craft show. Their idea was to affix these to the rod launchers so that detritus (motor igniters, plugs, tape, etc.) could be placed in them. The only issue was how to  attach them to the launchers.

I've designed and 3D printed a mounting solution. The garbage can sits inside a loop that is contoured to the can.  That loop has a jaw-like clamping system that attaches to the 2×4 which has the marine antenna mounts that hold the launch rods and exhaust deflection.

This is the 3D design I created for the mount.

3D can mount

The following are photos of the 3D printed can mount on a 2×4 to simulate the club's rod launchers.

Front view

Profile view

Currently, I have a hex-socket head 1/4-20 bolt through the two pieces to tighten the jaws. I will replace this with a typical hex head bolt to which I will fashion and attach a thumb wheel knob for tightening.

Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher

That's pretty cool! You should sell the design to Rubbermaid.

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1
Quote from Eric Becher on January 31, 2023, 11:31 am

That's pretty cool! You should sell the design to Rubbermaid.

ROTFLMFAO! I'm sure that there's an incredible market for 8oz Rubbermaid rubbish bin mounting gizmos.

I did 3D print a knob.  I didn't want to trek off to Lowes to buy two ~25¢ hex bolts, so I cut some threaded rod pieces and used a flange nut to make a bolt. I then heated the flange nut and melted it into the 3D printed knob. Everything is satin gold PLA. I've only printed one.  Let's see how it works at the launch. If it's OK, I'll print a second for the other micro-R2D2 sans wheels.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

😂 Jo Ann says we need to add a piece of string to tie the lid to one handle like they do at parks.

You're going to make tens and tens of pennies with this idea! We'll see you on Shark Tank soon.

Zielijo1

The equipment manager approves, except for the going to Lowes part.  HD is better.

Quote from Ckirlew on January 31, 2023, 2:31 pm

The equipment manager approves, except for the going to Lowes part.  HD is better.

The Lowes in Howell is conveniently and significantly closer.  I shop both Lowes and Home Depot depending on where I may be. However, Lowes did have that incredible deal on that Dewalt 12-inch dual bevel compound mitre saw and the adjustable aluminum mitre saw stand. Had I not been in there to shop for something I needed to complete a project for Martha, I'd have never seen that deal. In fact, I saved so much money that I bought a 10-inch portable table saw as well. Lowes has assumed the Craftsman tool line too.

Zielijo1

Nice idea, collaboration

Poohbah, you r a wiz with this 3D printing

Quote from Zielijo1 on January 31, 2023, 7:38 pm

Nice idea, collaboration

Poohbah, you r a wiz with this 3D printing

The printing is pretty hands-off; especially, considering that many 3D-things can take many hours to print to completion. The real magic is knowing how to use 3D design software and then, being able to envision what you want to create with that 3D software. A good digital caliper comes in handy too.

Zielijo1
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.