Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum content is readable by default! Create an account and log in to add posts or topics.

Estes D12 Service Bulletin

PreviousPage 2 of 2

I was thinking of slapping a 3FNC together and calling it "CATO" for just this reason. But yes, waiting until Estes resolves this and I have some replacements on hand.

I got an email overnight from Estes with a vague update that they expect to process my original claim within 90 days. More importantly though, the email referred to the recall as being for "C11, D12, and E12." The recall notice webpage itself hasn't updated, but the banner link to it throughout Estes' entire website now also mentions E12.

I sympathize with Estes having this problem, but how they're handling it seems to have a lot of unforced errors. Still haven't received any notice as a retailer, like "Oh hey, stop selling these!" Doesn't seem like my regional distributor has either. I attempted to restock on C11s, only to receive another batch from the E22 lot. So now I'm up to something like 40 blisters and 3 bulk packs recalled.

I can say, "I'm not surprised." Estes could become their own worst enemy if they don't handle such situations better.

BTW, I found that I do have an Aerotech RMS 24/40 case, so I will purchase some of your reloads for it as a way to avoid the Estes CATO-12s. I updated my motor casings spreadsheet too when I discovered that I did have 24mm hardware.

So Estes has updated their Engine recall bulletin. It now includes additional lot numbers, and specifies "E12-4, E12-6, E12-8" engines. I might have one or two of these new ones. I again suggest that if you do, resubmit another form for the new ones.

BTW, they also changed the submission form to ask for the number of motors you have affected. Now why didn't they do that before?🤔

This is what, the third time they have revised this recall? Crazy...

but not as crazy as a distributor sending out recalled motors to dealers! Joe, I think you have a serious bone you could pick with those folks (that Estes might want to hear about). I wonder if they are trying to have those replaced by Estes, meanwhile they sold them to you, but will tell you to also put in a claim with Estes. So they get double sales, and Estes replaces the motors twice! Who's your distributor the Sopranos?

Uploaded files:
  • Estes-recall-list.jpg

I'm confident the distributor just didn't know. I emailed with them yesterday and it was the first they'd heard of a recall: Estes hasn't sent a notice to them either. I can tell from the stock levels that I'm not the only one buying rocketry items, but it's definitely not a big part of the distributor's portfolio (focus is scale modeling and trains). They're seemingly also only making (big) purchases from Estes a few times a year and when new products come out. So they presumably don't have someone on staff in the rocketry community or looking at Estes' website regularly, and with Estes having declined to directly notify anybody AFAIK, the recall has just sailed under the radar.

I can accept the slowly growing scope of the recall, as much of a pain as it is to repeatedly go through stock. I'm also understanding of it being a huge clusterf*ck that Estes is struggling to handle logistically. But not directly notifying anyone is disappointing. I mean, I got an email yesterday from Estes' B2B channel to their retailers highlighting the "new" Cosmic Cargo kit, which 1) I've already stocked some weeks ago, and 2) possibly isn't as big a deal as adding lot codes and motor classes to the recall. So it's not like their mail server's broken or something.

Anyway, just venting at this point.

PS: No slight on the Cosmic Cargo, BTW, it seems like a totally fine $15 intro E2X kit...

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

Fair enough. If your happy with your distributor, that's what counts. You certainly know them better than I.

I agree that Estes should be more forthcoming. It's nice that they are conducting this recall, but if your going to do it, do it right. Figure out what went wrong. Get the full picture. Notify everyone affected. Make the full effort. If instead you make an offer to replace defective items but don't really try to tell people about it, it just doesn't seem like a genuine desire to correct the problem.

But also, why did it take months to figure out there are other items affected? If you knew there was a problem with the new materials supplier, and you know where those materials were used (which you should know) than I would think it's fairly easy to connect the dots. Even if you have to burn a few to confirm the problem, it shouldn't have taken this long to find out.

Estes does some things well, but sometimes it just seems like amateur hour over there. Must be the legal weed out there.

Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin
Quote from Eric Becher on August 22, 2024, 11:46 pm

Estes does some thing well, but sometimes it just seems like amateur hour over there. Must be the legal weed out there.

LOL! A Rocky Mountain high!

A better job notifying rocketeers about these motors would surely be better than allowing rocketeers to find out after their efforts to assemble their rocket is rewarded by a return in kit form. 😉

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

So today I finally received the replacement engines. I received exactly the same engines as was in the picture submitted. So if your picture had a single C11, you don't get a new 2-pack. You get a single C11 replacement. And note - no starters or plugs either. I hope you kept the ones from your CATO packs! Sorry, no freebies!

But wait - there are freebies! I got an Estes "Trucker Hat", a 2024 catalog with the summer/fall catalog (from which to order more fodder for exploding engines) and a few small stickers. Plus a 15% discount code... again - order more fodder for exploding engines.

I'm looking to trade the "Trucker Hat" (which no trucker past 1975 would wear) for something more valuable. Like a Mars Leaper. I will not accept a Blue Origin RTF.

But it is nice of them to conduct this replacement program, which surely cost them a bit of $$. And they got it in under 4 months! (for me at least) So if you are still waiting for your replacements, take heart. Your turn should be coming up soon.

Uploaded files:
  • delivery.jpg
PreviousPage 2 of 2
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.