Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum content is readable by default! Create an account and log in to add posts or topics.

Estes D12 Service Bulletin

Page 1 of 2Next

Hey CATO fans!

Estes has issued a "service bulletin" regarding their D12-3 and D12-5 engines. They should replace them if you have them.

Lot Codes affected:

E22 0522
E22 0622
E22 1022
E22 0123
E22 0323
E22 0523

Read about it and file a report here: https://estesrockets.com/pages/d12-engine-service-bulletin

While it says this affects D12-3 and D12-5 engines, I do have a pack of D12-0 engines that have a listed lot number. I'll have to ask if they are subject to this as well.

Quote from Eric Becher on June 25, 2024, 5:18 pm

Hey CATO fans!

Estes has issued a "service bulletin" regarding their D12-3 and D12-5 engines. They should replace them if you have them.

Lot Codes affected:

E22 0522
E22 0622
E22 1022
E22 0123
E22 0323
E22 0523

Read about it and file a report here: https://estesrockets.com/pages/d12-engine-service-bulletin

While it says this affects D12-3 and D12-5 engines, I do have a pack of D12-0 engines that have a listed lot number. I'll have to ask if they are subject to this as well.

Now he tells me! 😛 I took my cache of BP motors out today because I keep all of the Estes igniters with them. I did my usual collodion and black powder dip on a large number of Estes igniters. I check my D12s tomorrow for these lot numbers.

Estes has issued a "service bulletin" regarding their D12-3 and D12-5

Thanks for the update.   Glad to know I am plugged into the machine.

BTW - hoping to use some E12's next launch.

Chris O.

Quote from oliverhub on June 26, 2024, 9:29 am

Estes has issued a "service bulletin" regarding their D12-3 and D12-5

Thanks for the update.   Glad to know I am plugged into the machine.

BTW - hoping to use some E12's next launch.

Chris O.

E12s are perfect for the Independence Day theme of the launch! 😛

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

So when I submitted my information on the Estes form I received nothing in reply. Some folks on the Rocketry Forum said they were getting responses/confirmations. I had not. So this morning I resubmitted my info again and got a confirmation email of my submission right away.

I suspect the site wasn't quite working well on the first day. So if you did not get a response, you should probably resubmit.

About half of the D12-3s I have in stock fell into the affected lot numbers. Vaguely surprisingly, none of the D12-5s did.

Admin and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
AdminEric Becher

I'm pretty sure at least one package that I have has your price tag on it! 😂

I have some E12's from you that are highly suspicious too. Of course, I have one directly from Estes that I don't trust either, so perhaps I can't blame you. Perhaps.

😁

I hear we'll see you in August. Have a good holiday weekend!

Update: Apparently Estes has revised their bulletin to include ALL D12's (delays 0-7), plus C11's with the listed lot numbers (unchanged).

My suggestion: If you had submitted a claim, and have more, you might be able to revise it by signing into the Estes service page and finding your claim, add a note and a new picture. If that doesn't work, I guess submit a new claim for the additional items.

Uploaded files:
  • 573748-1c79e03b20e3e0cff282dc0492440386.png

Gonna have to print this out and go through the list. I have a gajillion D-12's to go through, it may take me all of next weekend. So far I am confident my older (aka "Cobra") D's are just fine, it's probably the newer batches affected.

Just went through my stock again to apply the expansion to all D12s as well as C11. Final count is 22 blisters and 3 bulk packs recalled.

I don't want to destroy them until everything's resolved. But after that we should put the box toward some kind of spool/odd-roc contest, the first rule being you cannot care if your rocket gets CATO'd but you can still win...

Admin and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
AdminEric Becher
Page 1 of 2Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.