Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Build techniques filling body tube spirals part 2

PreviousPage 3 of 4Next

We have a winner, guess u will have to split the prize

now I need a prize 🏆

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

Brian C can have the prize. He made the big breakthrough.

(easy to say since there is no prize)

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1

How do u know there’s no prize?

let’s see, recent order from madcow, Estes, n apogee

Uploaded files:
  • 76F1BCB4-B357-436E-8653-5EC3A2D7C8CF.jpeg

LOL. Anything that good you wouldn't be giving away so soon. And I know it isn't a good prize because I almost never win a good prize. For example, I've played the lottery twice in the last 2 weeks and I'm STILL not a billionaire! 😠

(On the other hand, I did win a few hundred duckets in AC a few days ago🤑, but that's the exception that proves the rule.)

Besides, what good is half a rocket? Do I get the nose cone, or the fin can?🤷‍♂️

Like I said, Brian made the big breakthrough.

Zielijo1

All I need is warmer weather to paint

29mm tubing arrived

Uploaded files:
  • FB30E33E-F8B8-48C0-B17B-0F002104555B.jpeg

Almost finished building and I’ve upgraded to 29mm motor mount. I think this should use aF15-4.

I can add a retainer but what should I use forward so the motor doesn’t shoot thru the model? Some sort 29mm block based on F15 length?

composite motors have the ring already

too cold to paint. Not ready for Feb launch.

Uploaded files:
  • 867A4068-17D8-4E85-AD04-04FB17F4CF33.jpeg

If you use a retainer and a composite motor, you shouldn't need a thrust ring forward. The "lip" on the motor pushes on the retainer.

BUT if you want to use an Estes 24mm D or E motor (with a 29-24mm adapter) than you will need the thrust ring fixed in the forward end of the tube at about 95mm. If you want to use Estes 29mm E16 or F, than a ring at 114mm is needed.

You could put it at 114mm and add a spacer to 95mm when necessary. You just wouldn't be able to fly Aerotech high G motors since they are 124mm long. But I hope to "you-know-who" that you don't stuff a big G in that little thing!

Aerotech has E, F, and some G motors that are below 95mm, so I think that is a good spot for it. Those 114mm motors are hard to find anyway. Even Estes's site is sold out of most of them.

Zielijo1

Thought so, need thrust ring for 29mm

Estes F-15 will be limit

Can use a section of any Larger tube. Cut it to a few mm long, then cut down the side. Put some glue on the outside of it, curl it up and shove into the tube. Expand the thing at the right spot. Add fillet to the top. let dry. Good to go. Just make sure your glue has some working time. Wood clue can work, but you have to be very generous or it will stick in a couple of seconds (squeeze out and wipe the excess). Epoxy might give you a little more time. If it doesn't seem thick enough, double it up.

Clear as mud?

Zielijo1
Quote from Zielijo1 on January 15, 2023, 10:52 am

I can add a retainer but what should I use forward so the motor doesn’t shoot thru the model? Some sort 29mm block based on F15 length?

Nothing.  Cut 5/32 inch ring of 29mm MMT and epoxy to the aft/nozzle end of the F15.  This will act as the thrust ring like the thrust ring on a composite or composite reload.

Zielijo1
PreviousPage 3 of 4Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.