Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

ARCAS CAR-COPHAGUS

The HV-ARCAS is a bit too heavy and significantly larger diameter than my Mach1 Daedalus, so I opted NOT to build a roof-rack mount for it.  Instead, I build a custom carry case. I used my 3D design software, Shapr3D, to design it. Not only the wood pieces and dust, but all of the router and drilling jigs. If you've ever hung a door, you know about the door hinge and latch jigs. I designed router jigs for the recessed handles and for the circular cuts that support the rocket inside the box, and drilling jigs for the locking spring clasps that hold the box securely closed.

I made the box from ½inch sanded maple plywood. I had the metal corners from a prior project as well as the piano hinge. Two handles cost $11 and the four latches cost $12 from Amazon.  The most expensive part was the 4ft×8ft sheet of plywood ~$50.

There's ample space inside to store other items too.  I have the CTI 75mm 4-grain motor casing, two RunCam2 4K systems, my walkie-talkies, and a box of sundry flight prep items.

Uploaded files:
  • IMG_2698.jpg
  • IMG_2699.jpeg
  • IMG_2700.jpeg
Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher

I guess work is less busy these days.🤣

That's really nice work, but you forgot a couple of things. It should have a couple of sockets for the motor, tools and other tid-bits. One case, everything you need.

Then you have to line it in red velvet, and finish it in glossy black lacquer.

Whatever you do, do NOT paint it flat green with yellow stenciled markings. People will think it's a stinger missile or something! (that would be cool though)

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1
Quote from Eric Becher on March 29, 2023, 12:43 pm

I guess work is less busy these days.🤣

Don't I wish.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." — John Lennon

"Work will interfere with you while you're busy making other plans." — Me

That's really nice work, but you forgot a couple of things. It should have a couple of sockets for the motor, tools and other tid-bits. One case, everything you need.

I keep all of my APCP motors in ammo cans and the big reloads (54mm) in a PA154 120mm mortar can.

Then you have to line it in red velvet, and finish it in glossy black lacquer.

I was contemplating a polyurethane, which I have plenty of, but I would like to add dye to make it black. I'll need to experiment with dyes. As for lining it, I don't think so unless M wants to bury me in it and then it should be satin lined.

Whatever you do, do NOT paint it flat green with yellow stenciled markings. People will think it's a stinger missile or something! (that would be cool though)

The PA154 120mm mortar can was military surplus.  I believe it was very likely from Desert Storm as it still had sand in it when it arrived. I found that acetone worked quite well to remove all of the stenciled yellow markings without affecting that lovely shade of Army olive drab.

Zielijo1

I'm surprised that you didn't 3D Print a case.  3 years later......still printing.

Quote from Ken Golomb on March 29, 2023, 6:32 pm

I'm surprised that you didn't 3D Print a case.  3 years later......still printing.

LOL!  Three years and lots of glue because I don't have a 6ft square bedded 3D printer.

Actually, I've designed and 3D printed more tools — like the router and drilling jigs — to build the ARCAS and its case.  Some things make sense to 3D print, other not so much. Some people though, seem to think 3D printing is the answer to everything. The proverbial, "If all you've got is a hammer, all your problems look like nails!"

Now that I've built this box, when I return from Red Glare I need to get cracking on M's spice rack.  I have two huge sheets of ¼inch acrylic that will be fabricated into her custom spice rack. She bough these square glass containers with nice wooden toppers, so I'll be making a clear acrylic rack to house them.

Zielijo1

3D printing sign up sheet?

have plenty of needed parts

Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.