Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Sumo 24 hr. Build

Looking for my first 4" rocket and maybe Level 1, I purchased the Sumo kit with a very short deadline of LDRS.  Well 24 hrs later it is ready for paint & tacky decals.

Full disclosure,  I did study the directions after unboxing for a day with test fits of all parts. But started working with epoxy yesterday.

Recommend this for any level builder, finding a field to launch is another matter.   Definitely not trying for H power as only available in reloads.  So level 0 will continue indefinitely. That will have to wait for another 4" adventure.

Uploaded files:
  • 20240604_110534.jpg
Eric Becher and tjkopena have reacted to this post.
Eric Bechertjkopena

Well you sure showed me and my reservations about getting it built for LDRS! Looks good, Chris.

I'm not following what you mean about the H motors though? One of the vendors at LDRS must have a suitable single-use DMS you could buy? Not that I encourage scrambling to squeeze your cert flight into this weekend. And I haven't looked closely at the cost tradeoff for high power DMS single-use versus RMS reloads.
AeroTech DMS 29mm

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

I have a single use "G" you can fly, but yes, finding a pre-made "H" is tougher. I haven't personally looked into that yet, but I have a 29/40-120 RMS case that you can borrow, assuming a baby H fits into that, but I suspect it does NOT (I think you'd need a longer 29mm case, otherwise it's 38mm for you. Actually, I *do have* a 38mm case, but I've personally never used it (obviously).

Chris - That's awesome! You Da man! And you won't even have to fly it naked!! 😳

Bring it up here and we'll get it up on an H. There will be vendors here. Wildman and Chris' rockets are best bets. They travel with trailers full of stuff that is not shown on their website inventory. You can send them an email to see if they will set something aside, or just window shop when you get here. I'd be shocked if they couldn't help you.

But... I have with me 3 motors that will work, plus a few more I'll be picking up here. You can buy it from me, or replace it later on. We'll figure it out, but either way it WILL work. I have in hand 2 Aerotech H135 White single use, and 1 Aerotech H115 DM single use. Both 29mm. Both more than enough for the Sumo. I used the 135 in my Kraken for my L1.

If you can, bring some data on the rocket, especially it's center of pressure point. And try to make sure it doesn't need extra weight in the nose, or add it there before coming up. Open Rocket SIM if possible. But you'll need that CP point to pass the RSO pre flight.

BTW, we just got here. It's nice up here!

Admin and tjkopena have reacted to this post.
Admintjkopena

To add just another wrinkle: Those black pieces look like lugs for 1/4 rod? It might simplify the logistics and smooth the review to put rail buttons or guides on if the rocket doesn't already have them on the backside of the picture. I would think that's a pretty achievable retrofit on a big tube like that, even on-site, what with the whole super team there.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

Joe is not wrong. 1010 buttons (which can be sourced from many places such as Rocketship Games, but not at Eric's Bargain Garage Sale), or conformal rail guides would be preferred, if not mandatory, by most clubs for high power. But they are supposed to have 1/4" rods here. We'll see if they allow it for your flight. The Sumo is not a particularly large or heavy rocket, so they very well may allow it.

But as Joe also says, easy to install in the field, and available here as well. I went through that process a couple of years ago down in Maryland putting on some rails for my Flying Machine. Printed by Brian S., installed by me with super glue in the hotel.

Also, for your L1:

You have to be a member of NAR for me to sign off for you. I think you said you are? (Or was that someone else? My poison ivy has affected my brain.) If not, go sign up and pay asap. If you are a member of Tripoli, someone else will have to sign off, like Brian S. perhaps. I'm not familiar with their process.

If you haven't already, bring the NAR L1 form in hard copy with you, including the second page checklist printed on the back. I'll need to sign that and you submit it electronically.

Quote from Eric Becher on June 4, 2024, 11:03 pm

Also, for your L1:

You have to be a member of NAR for me to sign off for you. I think you said you are? (Or was that someone else? My poison ivy has affected my brain.) If not, go sign up and pay asap. If you are a member of Tripoli, someone else will have to sign off, like Brian S. perhaps. I'm not familiar with their process.

If you haven't already, bring the NAR L1 form in hard copy with you, including the second page checklist printed on the back. I'll need to sign that and you submit it electronically.

Ken Allen, Performance Hobbies will also be at LDRS for motor sales in addition to Tim Lehr (Wildman) and Chris Short (CSrocketry).

NAR regs now require rail launches for HP rockets launches. As Eric said, you can add conformal rail guides easily because they are glued to the airframe. Rail buttons screw into the airframe. Those best be SECURELY mounted. Those doing RSO at LDRS will NOT let it fly otherwise.

Find me and/or Eric if you do your L1 at LDRS. I'll be happy to witness and sign-off if your flight is successful.

Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.