Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum content is readable by default! Create an account and log in to add posts or topics.

September 2024 Scheduled Launch

Greeting CENJARS Fliers,

You should be pleased to known that the use of the Athletic Field Complex has been secured for our use through March of 2025. By that time, NAR will, hopefully, have issued the new insurance certificates for us. At that time, I will re-apply for the use of the complex through the remainder of the fiscal school year. This is an odd process because the Wall School District works on a fiscal calendar that commences September. NAR issues their insurance certificates in the spring around the end of March. So, as your CENJARS Poohbah, I get to file twice a year. It's not a difficult process but there's often trepidation about getting the OK to maintain continuity of our launch schedule.

This past week, Eric, Neil and I visited the Assunpink Wildlife Management Area, a 6300 acres or just shy of 10 sq. miles of open space. While it looked promising as an alternate launch site for us, it's a wildlife reserve. It's not as flat as views from Google Earth would have one believe and it's mostly trees and bramble which would mean lots of lost rockets if launched there. There is one large area there that has been cleared for and by the Mercer County Radio Control Society, a radio controlled airplane club; however, this club leases the land from the Assunpink WMA and it's very unlikely that they would share that space. I'll reach out to them to see if there is any way to use that area. In the interim, we need to keep looking. If you have any recommendations for possible sites, please let me know.

Tomorrow, Sunday Sept. 1st, is our monthly launch. The weather forecasts are showing some early morning showers that should move out by launch time. I'd postpone the launch but the field availability through September is iffy, so let's try to make the best of the situation.

It's back to school and it's the beginning of local summer. Let's celebrate both in style with our launch.

I recently got lost on my bike in the Assunpink Wildlife Management Area.  There are definitely some large field areas but crops (corn/soy) are a growing.  Hunters will be prevalent in that area soon.  Right near by is that Perrineville Lake Park field that I previously mentioned...but it too has crops and high tension power lines nearby.

The weather report looks favorable for soggy rockets / rocket triggered lightning so I'll be sitting this one out.  Be safe!!

-Ken

Hopefully the weather holds off. At least it won't be too hot! I have a new Max Q Rockets 3D printed Starship that I'll hopefully be flying. Not sure what else, but I have a few things to choose from.

Some business:

I have a BUNCH of CENJARS membership cards, so please stop by and see me if you have paid dues and did not yet get your card. I'll even give you a CENJARS sticker to go with it!

Also - ARC Teams - it's a new season. Team memberships run for the ARC season (starting in June and running until May), so please pay for a new membership ($24) for your team if you will be flying this year.

Finally, I still have a box of kits left for sale. Stop by and have a look for your next build. The prices can't be beat - even by Rocketship Games! But if you need anything I don't have, and I don't have much, see them for good stuff at good prices from a good guy.

lsellmer has reacted to this post.
lsellmer

One the guys from my Perrineville Lake Park Trail Volunteer Team took me over to the Assunpink to view new land that they recently acquired and then took me to view the Radio Control Club Field.  The new land was nice but definitely not bigger than the Wall Field.  The Mercer County Radio Control Society field definitely has potential but is right next to the lake.  I can't see why we wouldn't ask and see their thoughts on getting a few launch days out there.  Another option that he mentioned was the Colliers Mills Wildlife Management Area (map link) near Great Adventure Area.  The photo incorrectly shows the Great Adventure Safari.  A giraffe might be useful in rocket retrieval but I don't think they are avaiable.  I didn't visit Colliers today but since Great Adventure is my second home I'll be sure to stop by and take a look sometime or maybe after my trail session next Wednesday.  From the map view it does seem to have some very open sandy areas but it does look a little close to Lakehurst.   Looking on the map the Whiting Wildlife Management Area near Crystal Lake has huge open areas (map link) but no idea if they are acessible...looks like lots of ATV trails!!!  Just some ideas...

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.