Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum content is readable by default! Create an account and log in to add posts or topics.

MDRA Launch 20 October 2024

Just a quick "report" on my attending the launch down at MDRA.  They held their monthly launch at the sod farm. It's a nice field on flat grass. Nice big open space. If you've never been, and you want to see some big stuff fly, this is a great place to go. It didn't hurt that the weather was about as perfect as anyone could hope for. Warm (not hot) and nearly no wind.

Here are a few pictures, some of which will look familiar. Some are just cool! The Kraken with flames is not mine. The one with the purple Kraken on it is. The big honkin' rocket (about 15 or 20ft tall!) belongs to Tom Cohen, who often flies large projects like this. A few folks also flew mini 3D printed versions of his large one.

Uploaded files:
  • MDRA-10-20-2024-001.jpg
  • MDRA-10-20-2024-005.jpg
  • MDRA-10-20-2024-004.jpg
  • MDRA-10-20-2024-003.jpg
  • MDRA-10-20-2024-007.jpg
  • MDRA-10-20-2024-002.jpg
  • MDRA-10-20-2024-006.jpg

So Brian made a folder for pictures from MDRA. I added a few. Some are the same as above, but some are different.

You will see that Tom Cohen's big rocket "stuck the landing" and remained upright after touchdown.

My Flying Machine had a slight complication and one of the boosters was hung up... until ejection of the main. It (the booster) got a little scorched, but it survived.

The flight of 4 red/yellow rockets were all identical 3D printed rockets on A, B, C, D engines. He was video taping this for his class. We saw how each engine cut out in succession and that rocket fell behind. We all knew this would happen, but it was cool to see it all at once that way.

Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.