Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum content is readable by default! Create an account and log in to add posts or topics.

Estes Motor Igniter installation tips.

I was following a link to YouTube about a L3 build and in the sideline of YT's suggested/related videos, I found a short gem.

I'd urge all members to watch this brief video about Estes Igniter use and installation. It shows several of the tips I typically show to fliers at the field; especially, to  those who are new and or have had misfires. Let's hope that this helps to speed up our launches, and save our members some ignitors and ignominy.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

That's a pretty good one. I always do the spreading of wires near the narrow end (while holding the "goop"). I am sure Mr. Duffy stole the idea from me.😁 But I haven't done the bunny ears. Years ago Charlie showed me to make "Donkey ears" (so they look like L's pointing away from each other) instead of bunny ears. Does the same thing and is a little easier for my muppet-like fingers. Anyway, nothing is perfect, but these things definitely help a lot.

Different subject, but this guy, James Duffy (no relation to the James Duffy in CENJARS), has some great videos on assembling complex rocket kits like the Saturn 1B (which I referred to often during my build), and his painting videos are particularly good. My only knock on his work is that he sands too much (in my opinion). No need to sand primer to 800 or 1000 grit. In fact, that smooth a finish actually prevents top coats from adhering. 400 is all you need. Use up to 800 or 1000 grit between top coats (if doing more than 1 coat) and you want a very smooth & glossy finish. But there are a thousand opinions on that, so try different things and do what works for you.

He is currently in the beginning stages of a multi part series on building the new Estes Saturn V.

Good tips.  The only thing that I do differently (besides donkey vs. bunny) is I put the plug in first and then bend the wires out.

Hey, donkey vs. bunny, there's got to be a cartoon about that somewhere.

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.