Forum

Forum Navigation
You need to log in to create posts and topics.

Build techniques filling body tube spirals part 2

Page 1 of 4Next

I tried a new material, carpenters wood filler (CWF). I read about this in the social group. This is thinned with water to a brushable consistency, like pancake batter. Dried in 15 mins and much less odor. This means can be done inside . Approx 2:1 cwf: water

I also tried it on the basswood but I noticed it may need to be thinner

the working time also appears short, 15-30 mins before a consistency change

more pixs to follow

guess the model in progress!
this is practice when I tackle my Saturn 1b

Uploaded files:
  • F5274A50-9C7B-4152-9403-1C186D7FDA2C.jpeg
  • 9D8423FA-C38E-406D-96DD-2D6D32EC2502.jpeg
  • BAB1B308-7D1F-41C8-BCE8-8B3B70CF16EF.jpeg
  • 4840E7AC-2AEA-4447-9822-AD7A085FD43B.jpeg
Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher
Quote from Zielijo1 on January 11, 2023, 11:43 am

I also tried it on the basswood but I noticed it may need to be thinner

Basswood or Balsa wood?  Bassword has such tight grain that you should need no filler.  I often toss the balsa in a kit and cut fins from basswood.  Saturate the basswood surface with thin CA and then sand.  It's ready to take paint.

Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher

I use carpenters wood filler, but it comes in a squeeze tube and is like toothpaste. No need to mix with anything. Similar results. I also use a putty knife. I think your brush would be much easier to apply, but the knife leaves less on there to sand off.

Rocket guess... hmm🤔 I see 3 tubes on the table, but they aren't very long or wide. Hmmm...🤔

Is it a Destination Mars Longship? Maybe a Black Brant?🙄

I have no idea.

Admin and Zielijo1 have reacted to this post.
AdminZielijo1

Balsa fins are a little harder to make smooth. For added strength, I paint both sides at once with wood glue (thinned with water a little) and let dry on wax paper, sometimes between books so the warping has about gone out. (Don't get scared when it warps - that reduces as it dries). Then I sand lightly, and coat with wood filler using a putty knife. Don't do this to the root edge, or if you do, sand it clean again. Then after sanding, it should be fairly smooth. 2 coats or so of filler/primer spray paint and a little sanding will make it pretty smooth.

I don't do all this for all my rockets, just the larger ones, or if I am trying to make it nicer than average. (i.e. my CENJARS 15th Anniversary Special). For something quick like my mini ghost, don't care as much.

And yes, basswood seems light years better, just heavier (check your stability), and you have to cut your own if not included. I haven't used that as much, but I'm getting into it a little.

Zielijo1 has reacted to this post.
Zielijo1

First time trying

it is sci-fi related

basswood

Eric Becher has reacted to this post.
Eric Becher

🧐It isn't the Explorer Aquarius is it?

That sucker has A LOT of tubes! You'll be filling spirals all day. And sanding, lots of sanding. You'd better get another six pack to keep on standby!

Someone brought one to a launch once, not too long ago. Came out pretty nice as I recall.

Quote from Eric Becher on January 11, 2023, 1:18 pm

🧐It isn't the Explorer Aquarius is it?

That sucker has A LOT of tubes! You'll be filling spirals all day. And sanding, lots of sanding. You'd better get another six pack to keep on standby!

Someone brought one to a launch once, not too long ago. Came out pretty nice as I recall.

Uploaded files:
  • 007253_main.jpg
Zielijo1

Well if it isn't the Explorer Aquarius, then it must be the B.O.S.S.

Is it the B.O.S.S? Looks like the B.O.S.S.

Must be the B.O.S.S.

Zielijo1

B.O.S.S. looks like the Starship Enterprise was impaled by a Mean Machine.

Zielijo1 and Eric Becher have reacted to this post.
Zielijo1Eric Becher

Is the word "impaled" a euphemism? 🤣

🙄

Zielijo1
Page 1 of 4Next
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.