Forum

Forum Navigation
Forum content is readable by default! Create an account and log in to add posts or topics.

August 2024 Scheduled LaunchStatus: LAUNCH SCRUBBED!

Attention CENJARS fliers and members,

The launch schedule for Sunday, August 4th 2024, is being scrubbed. The weather forecasts are showing rains throughout the period we would be on the field. I will submit an application to use the field for a make-up launch the following Sunday, August 11th 2024. If I can procure the field and the weather forecast is appropriate for a launch, we will also hold the picnic at that time.

Please note too that my wife's father passed away on Monday evening (July 29th). Martha and I have been busy making all of the arrangements for his inhumation. This has been complicated by the distance from where he resided and will be buried, and our residence. In addition, several family members have been traveling for summer vacation and won't be home and available until this coming weekend. Canceling this launch takes one more thing off my plate at a difficult time.

Note, if you visit the CENJARS Calendar, you will see that next weekend we have a scout build and launch in Millstone. We've done these launches with the Millstone scouts for several years and it's always a fun time. If you can help out, you won't be disappointed. Their builds are almost always simple easy to assemble rockets. The effort needed is to slow them down and guide them through the build to assemble a flyable rocket.

For the picnic, hopefully Sunday the 11th, we will have a contest. There's been some discussion about how it will be conducted. I will ask Eric and or Charlie to post some rules in the CENJARS Forum so that you can better prepare yourselves should you wish to compete in the event. I believe we will be using contest rules that were establish and used during our 50th Anniversary of Apollo 11 event. If we DO launch on the 11th, anybody that could help out earlier to setup would be welcome at the field before the usual time.

Also, the potluck signup sheet is still available. You can see what others are doing and, perhaps, bring something that's not listed.

Picnic Potluck Signup 

Consider bringing a favorite dish, a snack or a dessert to share.

I hope to see you at our next launch!

Closest to the Celestial Object

Contest Rules

There will be many celestial objects scattered about the field. Stars, moons, or other objects of interest from far away destinations. Each object will have a prize attached to it. Following the rules below, the closest rocket to the various objects wins that prize.

Details:

• At the designated launch cycle, each participant may launch ONE rocket.
  • It may be a planned 2-part recovery but both parts must land intact, as planned.
  • The rocket must fly a “nominal” flight – no failures, crashes, lawn darts, unplanned separations, etc. Rockets, or any part thereof, landing in a tree, on a roof, or on a car is NOT a nominal flight (disqualified).
  • If an engine fails to ignite, the flier may reset or replace the igniter and/or motor and make another attempt.
  • Launch rods/rails may be angled by the flier, but it must be a safe angle and direction per the NAR safety code.
  • No rockets will be touched, moved or recovered (except for safety reasons) until all participants have flown, measurements made, and a determination of winners is made.
  • The rocket’s nose cone tip is the point of measurement, or if no nose cone, the bottom/nozzle end of the engine tube. In the case of boosted gliders, the nose of the glider will be used. The distance from the nose cone tip to the base of the stake holding the celestial object is what will be considered.
  • One prize per participant. Should your rocket be the closest to more than one object, you may choose which prize you are awarded. That rocket is removed and the remaining prizes are awarded to the next closest rockets.
  • If after flying all rockets, there are prizes remaining, we may hold another round for those who did not win a prize or those who had disqualifying flights. This determination will be at the discretion of the contest judges. There is no guarantee to award all prizes.
  • Disputes will be resolved at the discretion of the judges.
Admin has reacted to this post.
Admin
Several CENJARS Forums are only available or visible to CENJARS members.